Losing Her

Words swirled around Selene like smoke as she lay on her bed. Everything was dark, and she felt a throbbing pain within her chest, as though she had been stabbed. The world was confusion, and Selene didn't know where she was, or where the fire had gone.

The last memory Selene had of being conscious was the fire. Everything had been set ablaze, and the world had fallen to cinders and ashes all around her. It had been a living nightmare.

Another mystery set in, as Selene noticed her body, realizing how big it was and how much faster her brain was. She felt older than three. She knew things, but she didn't know how she knew them. She knew what the word vehemence meant, even though she was positive she had no clue the last time she had been awake.

Needing to know what was going on Selene opened her eyes slowly and everything seemed to crash about her. The room was bright, and she squinted as the lights hurt her eyes. Someone let out a loud cry, and Selene shot up, before pressing her hand to her chest in pain. It felt as though something had popped, and Selene didn't want to find out what it was.

A hand presses over Selene's and helped guide her back down onto the pillows. She looked up at the person and saw a boy with messy black hair and worried copper eyes. He was handsome, though his hair was in need of a cut, and his eyes were shadowed from many sleepless nights. He seemed familiar, though Selene knew that she had never met this boy before.

Suddenly, a spurt of data began to scroll across her vision in bright green text.

EMPEROR KAITO OF THE EASTERN COMMONWEALTH

ID #0092719057

BORN 7 APR 108 T.E.

FF 107,448 MEDIA HITS, REVERSE CHRON

POSTED 13 NOV T.E.: IN A STATEMENT RELEASED THIS MORNING, EMPEROR KAITO INFORMED THE PRESS THAT HE HAS DELAYED HIS RETURN TO EARTH FOR AN INDETERMINATE AMOUNT OF TIME, STATING THAT HIS PRESENCE IS NECESSARY AT THIS TIME TO OVERSEE THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE LUNAR CAPITAL-

Selene blinked, and the text disappeared. She looked at the boy and realized that he was saying something to her, trying to hand her a glass of water. She took it warily, though drank it greedily as her parched throat ached with how dry it was.

Once she was done, Selene handed the glass back to the boy who set it down on the table beside her. He looked at her with an expression that Selene had never seen before. He looked at her with relief and joy and... love. He looked as if she were the love of his life.

Many questions swirled around Selene's brain, and she couldn't decide which was the most important.

Where was she? The room looked like a hospital, though Selene wanted to know how she got there.

Who was this boy? The green text had told her that he was Emperor Kaito of the Eastern Commonwealth, though lat Selene could remember Rikan was the Emperor, and this boy seemed too young to be the ruler of any country.

How old was she? Her body was big, and looking at herself she would guess that she was only a few years younger than her Aunt Levana. Well, a few years younger than when she last remembered her anyways.

Where was her Aunt? She wasn't here.

Where was Winter? She also wasn't there.

What the heck was going on? Selene didn't know if she would ever understand that.

Selene looked at the boy, and he stared at her as though she was the only thing that could save his soul. He looked like the pictures she had seen of Rikan, though quite a few years younger, and much more tired. Not being able to stand it any longer, she asked, "Who are you?"