22

i aplogize for not updating! my phone broke a while ago and i got a new one, so this story can be continued now. :)

     Keith didn't come out of his room for days. His mom began to worry, occasionally knocking and asking if he was okay and sliding plates of food wrapped in aluminum foil under his door.

He couldn't come out. Everything reminded him of Lance.

Keith almost had thrown the giant stuffed hippo they won at the carnival out of the window. It only made it worse. A swarm of wasps was inside his head. All he could hear was the buzzing of Lance's words.

"I can't do this. Us. Not now- not ever. Just leave me alone."

"Just go."

They stung and stung until he felt dizzy. Was he not good enough? Keith tried and tried, but no matter what he did, it was like he could never do anything right.

The knock on the door snapped him back into reality. "Hello? Keith," came a warm, familiar voice, belonging to his mother. "I'm really worried about you, honey. What's wrong? Please talk to me." Her voice was dripping with worry, and it made Keith's heart ache to make her feel like that.

"I - I'm okay, mom," he managed to mutter in a soft voice.

"Lance called."

He felt his heart jump out of his chest. "I - What?" Keith said, his thoughts in his head swarming.

"Come out, honey. Please, so we can talk. It's okay," his mother said in a whisper.

"I can't, mom. Not yet."

"Keith, honey, please."

"I'm sorry, mom. I just - it's too much, okay? Please just go."

"I love you," his mom whispered.

He didn't respond.

-

Lance flinched as his father pulled out the chancla, screaming at him a string of profanitites.

"Papi, please," he begged. "I broke up with him. It was just a phase, I promise."

"Lance, you dated a guy. A guy, for fuck's sake! From now on, if I ever see you in my house with another man, you will be kicked out. I can't risk my son being with another man." His words were spat out like venom dripping from his tongue.

"Y-yes," he whispered, tears streaming down his face.

Lance walked into his room, sobbing softly as he shut and locked the door.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"I'm so sorry."

-

Keith had a plan. He was a bit better now. His mom had left him another plate of food, so at least he was eating now. He had cleaned himself up - to the best of his abilities - and he looked okay.

He was trying to be okay. Keith had assured himself that he wasn't going to cry - because he was going to be okay.

He logged onto his computer, taking a deep, shaky breath. Some part of him felt like this was a horrible idea, but he had to.

Keith pressed onto the Skype icon, and clicked on Lance's name. He braced himself before hitting "call."

-

   Lance jumped at the call. He got up from where he was sitting, wiped his eyes and looked confused at the screen as it's light shined onto his face.

For some reason, he answered. It's not like anything could get worse from here.

"Keith?" came his weak voice, barely in a whisper as he stared into the screen.

"Lance," said Keith breathlessly.

"I missed you so much. I'm sorry," he whispered. "Are you crying?" he asked?

Lance looked away, strands of his hair falling into his eyes.

"Lance, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," he whispered softly, more tears to come. He tried to wipe them away, but they just kept appearing. "I'm so fucking sorry."