Chapter 3

"I say to stay back!" I shouted again, trying real hard not to completely panic.  

"Funny, isn't he?" Joker said walking around the room, kind of doing a circle around me. "He thinks he's threaten just because he carries a stick."

I moved with him, trying to keep an eye on both of them. This was suddenly really hard though. I mean, how was I supposed to fight both of them?

"Yes, a delight for sure." Penguin added. "But, I'm going to check the back for traces of Batman while you have fun."

"It won't be fun and Batman isn't here!" I said lunging forward to attack Joker with my staff. I'd show him that not only did I have my bo-staff, but I could also use it.

"Ohh, what a feisty little bird." Joker said, laughing at me and leaning out of the way. "But, we know already that Batman must be here."

"Aghhhhhh," I tried again, this time ramming my weapon into a pile of junk when joker moved and getting it stuck.

"My, my, such a shame you can't fight me now." He said coming up behind me while I tried to pull it out and grabbing my arm. "You know, it's been so long since I had someone to play games with me. The last poor fellow didn't survive long."

"Let go!" I screamed, trying to kick him instead and only succeeding after falling on my butt. "Batman will save me!"

"Oh," he started to make a tisking sound, kinda like how Alfred does when I forget to do chores or homework. "If only he had saved the last one."

"What do you mean?" I said getting back on my feet. I knew better than to ask, batman told me that some villains would say anything to distance me. I couldn't help it though.

"There was a Robin before you," Joker grinned even wider than before. "We had such a fun time. We played games, ah, yes lots of fun little games. Until he played unfairly, then I beat him and beat him and beat him. Sadly he never got out in time for the bomb, I wish we could've played more."

"You'r-re lying!" I shouted, backing up. "Batman would've-"

"Ah, yes. Told you." Joker finished before I could. "Because he never keeps secrets from his little bird."

I shook my head, Bruce did keep secrets for me. But, it was for my own good sometimes. I'm sure there was a reason that he kept secrets from me. I found myself tripping over another box and landing on my butt. "Oof," I moaned.

Before I could even think of getting up, Joker grabbed me by the front of my shirt. "Oh yes, now time for the fun." He said pushing a knife in my face, placing the flat side against my cheek. "I don't have my bag of toys right now, so I'll just have to make do with only this."

"No! Don't please!" I screamed, trying to push him away, but he was too strong for me to overpower with just force.

"Yes, scream!" Joker leaned his head back and started to crackle with laughter. "That only makes it more fun!"

I screamed again, I was so scared.

A batrang sliced into the Joker's hand a moment later. The villain screamed and dropped the knife, turning around. Batman jumped down from the ceiling and punched him right in the face.

Joker's grip loosened on my, allowing me to run to the other side of the room, near Nightwing. "Batman!" I cried with relief. It wasn't so bad as long as he was around.

"Go back, Robin." Batman demanded. "I'll take care of Joker."

I defiantly felt stronger knowing that Batman was around and had my back, "No, I can't leave you and Nightwing like this." I was still shaking, but I knew I had to help as Robin. Tim can be scared, but Robin had to be brave.

"Fantastic, two for one deal," Joker smiled, pulling out the weapon and then rubbing his hand. Blood poured out from in between his fingers.

"Now, Robin." Batman said, in that tone of voice, the one that usually meant I was getting a spanking if I didn't listen right then.

"It's all my fault I want to fix it! Please!" I said trying to get him to understand, even though it was probably a really bad time to do it.

"This isn't the time." Batman said, moving in to take down the Joker.

"Ah yes, but if he hadn't let me go the other day." Joker stated with a wide smile. "None of us would be here today."

"What?" Batman said with clear shock just as the Joker threw the batrang back at me.

I yelped and tried to move out of the way. Luckily it only caught my utility belt. Unluckily, it cut opened a smoke bomb and tear gas at once. I started to cough and my eyes were burring.

Suddenly, a loud boom shook the whole place and sent glass shards flying from what remained of the window. I dived to the ground and covered my head with my hands.

"See you later, Bats!" Joker shouted, laughing as he disappeared.

Groaned a bit, I sat up. As the smoke cleared I realized that all traces of Joker was gone. One look at Batman told me that he was angry, and I could tell that even with his cowl on. "Sorry." I mumbled, feeling guilty about mucking everything up. My stomach in a twist of knots. So much for my promise to listen.

"Get in the car," he growled, hoisting Nightwing's limb body up. "We'll talk about this later."

This time I followed without even trying to talk him out of the spanking that I was getting at home. I deserved every bit of it.