Chapter 2

Ezra's P.O.V

I shot up in surprise and quickly wiped the drool away.

"Sleeping in class again, Mister Jarrus?"

I blinked a couple of times to focus my vision on the person standing in front of me. Giggling erupted all around the room and silent whispers wavered.

My eyes soon focused on my English teacher, Miss Tano. An amused smirk graced her lips. I perked up when she handed me a paper. It was no ordinary paper. It was our quiz that we took two days ago and let's just say, I totally failed.

   "I know you can do better if you actually studied," Miss Tano informed.

   "I did," I muttered under my breath. Out of every subject in school, Geometry and English are my worst classes.

   "Maybe, you can find someone to tutor you," she offered, "but for now, it's reading time. Please don't fall asleep in my class. I don't want to get any of you in trouble but if worst comes to worst then I'll have no choice."

   "I'll try," I promised.

    "I'll let you off with a warning but next time won't be so lightly," she said before heading to the front of the classroom. I looked back at my quiz and sighed in frustration. If this keeps up, dad is going to lose his head if he finds out I'm failing English and barely pulling off Geometry.

  I sighed and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I keep getting recurring nightmares every night and it gets harder to sleep. It's even harder to stay awake during a class when it becomes boring and start dozing off.

I never told dad about my nightmares. I wasn't that small and vulnerable child anymore that sat alone. Not a baby that goes and cries to their parents in the middle of the night when having a stupid nightmare. That was the old me. The old, pathetic me.

My focus came back to the quiz in my hand. I tucked it deeply into my folder and considered what Miss Tano offered.

When the bell rang, everyone packed their things and walked out the door.

"Have a good day, everyone," she said, receiving a few replies. I packed my things but instead of leaving, I walked up to her desk.

"Yes, Ezra?" Miss Tano asked, looking up from some papers.

"If I were to have a tutor, who would you recommend?" I asked. She began to think of the many possibilities of who could teach me.

"There's one person that I can think of to teach you but let me ask them first," she said, smiling. I returned the smile and said, "Ok, thanks." Miss Tano was one of the nicest teachers that will do their best to help students, like me, when they struggle.

"No problem," she replied. I left the room and headed towards the cafeteria.

   Tables were scattered in all different places around the area. Chatter filled my ears when entering and walked over to my friends. I placed my lunch down where I would usually sit.

A hand rested on my shoulder and I turned to see my good friend, Zare.

"Hey dude," he greeted, "How was Miss T?"

"Same old. Same old," I answered, shrugging and unpacking some of my lunch.

   "Did you hear about the break out last night?" Jai asked. I shook my head no.

   "Who broke out?" I asked.

   "That assassin guy, Kallus that works for the Empire," he answered. "He escaped last night."

   "They say he broke out because he has unfinished business," Mart added, wiggling his fingers in the air dramatically. I took a bite out of my sandwich while holding back an eye roll.

   After lunch, I went to my last couple classes before school ended. The bell rang and kids began to charge for the door to escape the room like it was some sort of prison.

I laughed to myself.

"School is a prison," I muttered to no one in particular. I packed all my books then headed for the door. On my way to the buses, I could see her.

Sabine. The nerd.

A grin formed as a plan manifested in my head. I pulled out a marker and walked onto the bus, finding her assigned seat. Once quickly finding it, I opened the marker and scratched her name out, replacing it. I smiled evilly and closed the marker before hurrying to my seat.

Sabine's P.O.V

   "I bet I could beat you at basketball," I challenged Ketsu.

   "You're on," she replied with a fire in her eyes. I walked up the steps of the bus and immediately heard giggling. Confused, I looked back at Ketsu to see her shrug. We walked over to our seat until finally seeing what was so funny. Someone scratched out my name and wrote "Freak" under it.

   The giggling grew louder and I sighed while shaking my head sadly, sitting in the seat next to the window to hide. I didn't feel a weight plop down next to me and wondered what Ketsu was doing. I turned my head to see that she disappeared and saw people watching something in the back.

   I stood up and faced in the same direction as everyone else to see Ketsu standing over Jarrus, who sat back in his seat. Her hands were on her hips as she glared down at him.

   "You're an idiot if you think bullying my friend is so funny," she snapped. The bus went silent as everyone watched the quarrel. I slid back down in the seat and wanted to so badly hide.

   I loved Ketsu for being such a good friend and standing up for me. Yet, this is not how it should be handled getting a bunch of attention in a bus loaded with kids. Most of them are gossipers which means the news will spread fast then Ketsu will start being bullied.

I had to do something.

   I breathed through my nose then released all of the tensen through my mouth. I stood from my seat and walked back to Ketsu.

   Ezra was about to reply to her comment until I arrived.

"Come on, Ketsu," I said, gesturing over to our seat.

"But I'm not done here with this rat," she spat the word "rat" in Ezra's direction. For a split second, my eyes caught Jarrus wincing then went back to his smirk.

"Looks like the two nerds are to scared to face me," he mocked, sitting back in his seat. I paused and replied, "No, we're just smarter to walk away from a fight than to start one, Jarrus."

Ketsu and I continued our way back to our seats then sat down. I sat next to the window and stared out it.

"Wow, I didn't think you had it in you to do that. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself," Ketsu said, gently punching me in the shoulder. I turned to face her and smiled a little before turning away to frown.

"Promise mommy, you'll never fight with anyone at school again."

"I promise, mommy."

'I'm sorry, mom' I thought, sadly, 'I broke my promise.'

I closed my eyes in utter defeat as the bus began to move.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Stay tuned and adios!!!!😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁