finding out

the cold air brushed against my face, making it go numb, as I pedalled faster in desperation to find out what had happened. 
I'm very sure that this had happened before, i mean it couldn't be that rare, surely...
with nothing to occupy myself but my thoughts, i tried to focus on the road and kept my eyes off the still houses i cycled past.

a few minutes later, i arrived. It was closed- of course.

The library was an old building, it had a large wooden doorway and arched windows.

I checked the door although i didn't really believe it would open.
I was right.
well this won't hold me back, it might take me ages to find the answers to the questions i have so I need to hurry. I needed to find something to throw at the windows so i could get in.
Upon turning around and scanning the street, i noticed a few loose bricks outside a house about 20 metres away. I grabbed one, and returned to the library.
Even though I knew no one would hear of see me, i still felt a little nervous about smashing the window.

"3,2,1..." 

I threw the brick at hard as i could and winced when i heard the loud smash and saw broken shards of glass fall to the ground. Abandoning my bike, I crept up to the window and pushed myself up onto the window ledge. Looking down inside the building, i realised i was quite far from the floor and there was broken glass all over it. 
I braced myself and jumped.
I did land on my feet, but the pieces of glass made me slip and i fell forwards.
The coat sleeves protected my hands from the glass, but the large coat had made me clumsy and my head hit the ground.

I cursed under my breath as i felt a shard of glass graze my cheek.
I pulled myself off the floor, stood up and felt my cheek gingerly.
It didn't seem to be a deep wound, but it stung a lot. I pulled my torch out of my pocket and turned it on. the bookcases caused looming shadows that leered over the chairs and the walls. 
Now i just need to find the section on powers. Luckily, since i had looked into it a lot in the past week- i had been nervous on what powers i might have been granted and had looked into what i was likely to receive - i knew exactly where i needed to go.

After searching for a minute, she came across a few books that seemed useful.
'Lesser known powers'
'rarest and uncommon powers'
'a history of dark and rare powers'.

I hoped I would find what she needed in one of these books. I carried them over to a small table and opened 'lesser known powers'. The contents were vague, so I ignored them and just scanned through the book. 

"this isn't what i'm looking for.....
          ... come on..."
It was mostly full of useless powers or very discreet ones that were hard to notice, like being able to manipulate the colours of flowers or being able to manipulate how food tasted to other people. I tossed the book aside, frustrated, and opened the next one: 'rarest and uncommon powers'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

end of chapter

hope it was at least a little interesting, please keep reading as i'm going to add some more interesting stuff in the next chapter. no spoilers but she might not be alone