his birthday

his POV:

this would be more fun if i was doing this with someone else.

instead I am sat alone in the small living room of my mum's flat watching the time on my phone tick closer to midnight.

11:58... nearly midnight

i didn't have much of a social life so i didn't have any friends who could be bothered to come over and my mum was out working late...  again.

11:59...

I wasn't very exited since my family have been given useless powers- my mum has the ability to change the colour of the clothes she is wearing. At least mine wouldn't be that bad, surely...

ten seconds...
nine...
eight...

well, it's not like it matters anyway. it's not like i can't get a job if i get a rubbish power.

seven...
six...
five...

four...

I stared at my phone dully watching midnight approach.

three...
two...
one....

zero.

Nothing happened.
Is this a joke? 
I glanced around the dimly lit room but nothing looked different.

I glanced down at myself but i looked the same.
It was normal for the person to get a sudden burst of their power the second they got it, this way they knew what they could do.

It was about this time a letter flew in an open window. I thought I closed them all.
It darted towards me and stopped, hovering a few inches about my hands. Then it quivered slightly and dropped lightly into my hands.

Hoping this would explain how nothing had happened I tore it open.
It read:

"time has frozen at midnight, 17th of December.
it will restart on the day you die.
that is, unless you manage to restart it yourself.
if you achieve this, you will be granted with infinite powers of your choice.
good luck."

what?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my POV:

"... They must then work out how to start time up again as fast as they can since you still age. if everyone fails and they all die, then time will re-start itself." He was the only survivor. This event may occur more frequently than we are aware of, however if that is the case, surviving the game is not likely. " 

This couldn't be true, right?

I felt tears forming in my eyes and i blinked, attempting to clear my vision.
I slammed to book shut and hurled it across the room. It hit a wall with a dull thud and fell to the ground.

I wiped the tears from my eyes fiercely with my coat sleeve and stood up. I needed a plan, I couldn't waste time crying like a baby. If I wanted to survive this, then I need to do something useful. 

Like finding other people.

Unless that book was lying, I wasn't alone, so i should see if anyone else has any ideas of what to do. If i can find anyone, that is.
Perhaps we were spread through multiple countries. There wasn't even a guarantee that anyone else was moving out there.

The scarf covering the bottom of my chin was getting in the way as i scrambled back out the window. I yanked it off and let it fall to the ground and headed back to my bicycle.
At least that's i intended to do.

I certainly did not intend to walk directly into someone.