2

Patrick

I sit in my newly acquired "usual" spot in the little cafe between my apartment and the rink. I stare at the clock on the wall as I tap the counter in front of me. It was quieter than usual, the normal older couples read the paper by the windows as they keep to themselves. I was on the front page and I still had to get used to that. We had a good game last night and I had picked up right where I left off a year before.

I watch as the minutes creep by and let out a sigh. It was now 8:24 and I was afraid I was being stood up. That one hurt, like a lot.

Eventually I get up and start to head to the door until I hear the bell ring meaning someone opened it. I look up and see Rebecca there in skinny jeans and a white blouse. Her hair in pigtails braids and no make up on. Her fresh face like the prettiest painting in the worlds biggest art museum. I swear she gets more beautiful each time I've seen her.

"You didn't think I would forget about you... did you" she asks.

"Just because I can't get you out of my mind doesn't mean it's the same for you" I smirk and she blushes.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that" she smiles. I shake my head of all the thoughts going through my mind and look back into those brilliant green eyes.

"I would really like to buy you a drink, if that's okay with you" I admit.

"I would appreciate that."

We go over to the front and order some drinks. She gets hot tea and I grab a coffee. We go into the booth she always sit in and she sits across from me.

"You don't strike me as a kind that would get hot tea at a cafe" I admit.

"I tend to stay away from caffeine, I don't want to be sitting in class all jittery" she shrugs.

"What are you going to school for" I wonder.

"To get a education" she teases and I laugh.

"You got jokes huh" I ask.

"I can be funny" she claims.

"You never answered my question" I remind her.

"I'm a journalist major. I have to finish the rest of this semester and interning after that before I can graduate" she explains.

"And you want to be a sports journalist" I ask.

"I prefer to be, yes" she admits.

"Well that's cool. How did you end up with the Hawks?"

"My English professor suggested me and they needed a extra set of eyes. Now I'm here."

"That's pretty cool, do you like college?"

"I do. I've been going strong for almost three and a half years here. This city has been great to me, I've made some amazing friends and had the best times" she admits.

"Do you party a lot" I question.

"Not at all" she claims and I look at her weird.

"Then what are your so called best times" I ask and she laughs.

"Believe it or not, you can have fun without alcohol" she claims.

"I have yet to see it" I insist and she giggles.

"Something tells me that you have a lot to learn" she admits.

"I was kind of hoping you would be the one to teach it to me" I claim.

"I got some time" she smirks.

We spend two hours sitting in that booth just talking about our lives. She tells me about college and I tell her about being a young athlete in the big city. The whole time she was smiling and laughing when I was obviously trying too hard to make her laugh. But she always let me know she was listening, showing me that she felt this connection we had too.