Chapter four - The Light

I spend what felt like hours in the darkness surrounding me. The major, agonizing pain had faded a while ago, and I was forced to stay like this with a weak continious pressure in my head. I am probably in some kind of sleep, but I have not lost any form of conscious. I wonder what this serum is doing to me, because I can't find anything suspicious yet. Is he able to look onto my brain now? I hope not, then I'll probably be dead the minute I wake up.

At the very moment my mind started to fall asleep too, a very bright light started shining right in my eyes. I tried pushing the light away because its blinding strength was giving me headaches. But to my surprise it worked. Bit by bit I caused the light to dim with my mind. Finally I pushed away the final bit of light and I let myself drift off in the eternal darkness. In other words, sleep.

Eventually I was woken up by the sound of bleeping machines. "Ah there you are. We've been waiting for you to wake up for hours." Mr. Allack said. I recoqnised him as the one who had injected me the serum. I let my eyes search the room, but I did not seem the remember anything of it. Have I been moved somewhere else? "Wait... Hours?" I answered when his words finally got into me. "Yeah you've been asleep for so much longer compared to the others. We almost thought we had lost you, and I didn't want to be the one to bring the bad news to your parents. That's why we moved you to the hospital department of the headquarters." Then I noticed what the bleeps were. There was a big box next to me with a black screen on it. I guessed the green line was my heartrate. Its speed got along with the bleeps. So the noise must be coming from it. "Am I one of those dreamers?" I asked hesitantly after fighting a battle with myself whether I should. "Your results are quite odd, since your brain activity got much stronger after a while. But it didn't result in a dream, so you're not." He answered. "You're allowed to continue living." I added jokingly, but I knew there was some sort of truth in it.

"We've already acknowledged your parents that you'll be coming late. But you'll be brought home as soon as you'll be able to stand up." Mr. Allack said before leaving the room, after which a young man entered. "I'll help you from now on. Mr. Allack's work has ended here because he already worked longer to check up on you every once in a while. I'm Mr. Cadmon, but call me Jason." He said with a wink. "I'm Alice, but I guess you already know. What time is it?" "One o'clock." He replied as I stared at him in shock. "IT'S ONE O'CLOCK?! But then it's already past curfew!" I screamed, but he just laughed at my response. "Yeah, but headquarters are okay with you leaving late because it's all for the greater good." "True." "So lets try and get you on your feet now." Jason mumbled as he helped me up. "You might feel a little weak." I stood up, which ended being a bit too quickly since I almost fell. "Thanks for the warning." I groaned back, and he started laughing. After a while of staring angrily at him, I could no longer control myself and started laughing along. "You look so funny when you laugh!" I managed to get out of my mouth before another burst of laughter empowered me.