Here In California

The first night was easy. Stevie set him up with blankets and pillows and Lindsey took his place on the couch. He was grateful, not expecting anything because he wanted to take things slow. Though they were close, he didn't want to rush certain things and scare her off. He was terrified of making another big mistake like he had five years ago.

The next morning, Lindsey lay with his mouth open, snoring softly as he slept. His body was sprawled out, legs and arms laying over the arms and side of the couch in all directions. He seemed comfortable enough to Stevie as she went into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. It had become a routine for a her, a morning ritual that helped her be more focused and alert. Plus, it helped out Robin when she couldn't find time to make it herself.

She smiled to herself as she leaned against the counter, waiting for the coffee to brew. She could see him from where she stood and he looked so handsome, so peaceful. She missed him, she knew that deep down. She decided in that moment to talk to Lindsey about telling Summer. She didn't know weather it would happen today but she knew it was a necessary conversation. She began to smell the coffee as it dripped steadily into the carafe. She inhaled deeply, taking in the warm, familiar scent as she watched him.

Lindsey stirred on the couch, kicking a foot out from under his thin blanket, twisting his limbs and contorting awkwardly on the small sofa to get comfortable enough to sleep soundly again. She watched him for a moment longer but as his eyelashes began to flutter, she turned around, not wanting him to know she was etching every feature of his face into her memory.

"Mmm...coffee..." he mumbled groggily and she bit her lip, trying not to laugh. He threw back his covers and peeled himself off the couch, making his way into the kitchen. He rubbed his eyes, and scrubbed a hand over his face.

"Morning," she said in a husky whisper as he walked into the room.

"Morning, Steph." He stumbled toward her and kissed the top of her head.

"Want me to pour you a cup?" Stevie asked and he nodded gratefully. "Wouldn't want Mr Guitar God to burn himself and be out of commission when I need him."

He smiled, emitting a soft chuckle. "Yeah, well you could find someone else. I'm not so special."

"You're very special. You remember how Alex talked you up? You're difficult but everyone puts up with you because of how talented you are," she said, pouring his coffee and putting in the right amount of cream and sugar.

"Do you think I'm worth all the trouble?" he asked as she handed him his cup. He took a sip, awaiting her answer. He saw a certain look in her eyes and a wicked smirk appeared on her face.

"You could be," Stevie said and he laughed.

"I mean it."

Her smile faded and she seemed to truly think about his question. "I...I hope so." He sighed, feeling like he would always be a failure. He made the biggest mistake of his life and he would be paying for it forever. He didn't blame her for how she felt but he hoped one day he could prove to her he wouldn't be going anywhere, he was all in, but it would take time.  He chose to change the subject.

"Is there anything I can do to help with the party planning? Maybe I can hire a clown who makes balloon animals or one of those big blow up bouncy castles?"

"That's sweet, Linds but I'm fine on my own. Robin is helping."

"I know but let me help, too. Let me do something special for my little girl."

Stevie was quiet a minute. "She likes fairytales."

"Why am I not surprised?" he teased and she smiled a little. "What did you have in mind?"

"We could dress up, the three of us. You can be a king, I will be a queen and Summer can be a princess."

"I'm sure she will love that. Think we could get Alex to dress up as a court jester?"

Stevie giggled, nearly spitting out her coffee. "He would have a cow! Plus, I think he's already mad at us."

"He's mad at me. I'm sure the guy would do back flips for you if you asked him to."

"Whatever," Stevie took another sip of coffee.

"You would be surprised what men would do for such a beautiful woman. Besides just looks, you've got brains, and a big heart. You are the whole package, Steph. I'm lucky to have had you all those years ago. Hell, I'm lucky to be here now."

"Thank you."

"It's just the truth." He reached out to stroke her cheek and she smiled up at him.

"Thank you for being here."

"Thank you for inviting me. Yesterday was amazing! Spending time with Summer, listening to her giggle when she watched her morning cartoons, hearing her interaction with her toys...she has such an imagination and she's so funny. I needed this. For years, I felt like I was drowning. Even though I had a taste of success, it never really worked out. I always fell into a deeper depression than I came from and things weren't going well for me. Then I saw you again and you flipped my world upside down in the best way. I know it was a shock seeing me and I upset you by being around but I'm glad you gave me a chance. I'm not perfect, angel but I want to do my very best for both of you. I haven't been this happy in years and I want it to continue."

She could feel the passion in his words. He was open and honest and she truly felt she could trust him. She needed to put down her fear and just go for it. "I never needed you or wanted you to be perfect but knowing that you'll try means a lot to me. I'm happy too and Summer adores you. Seeing you two together was all I ever wanted and now..." A tear slipped down her cheek and he carefully wiped it away with his thumb. "I know it sounds crazy but I couldn't imagine you leaving now."

"I don't want to leave. I love being here and finally getting to be a father, even if she doesn't know yet."

"That's the thing- that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I've been thinking about it all morning." The brief moment of silence that followed was deafening. He wanted her to speak because he frankly didn't know what to say. He was pretty good at putting his foot in his mouth. "I think we should tell Summer. Soon."

Lindsey's lips parted and Stevie turned her head hearing footsteps. His brow furrowed, his gaze following hers. A little girl in pink pajamas stood before them, a rag doll tucked into the crook of her arm.

"Tell me what?" Summer asked, rubbing her eyes.