Betrayal

Lindsey paced the living room and all three women in the house watched him, their heads following his path from the kitchen doorway to the entry way and back again.

"Daddy, you're blocking the tv," Summer complained, shifting in her seat to see around him. She sat with her bowl, spooning Lindsey's favorite sugary cereal into her mouth. As she moved once more to get a glimpse of Scooby Doo leaping into Shaggy's arms over a supposed ghost, milk dribbled down her chin and Stevie wiped it away with a hanky.

"Summer, you're making a mess. This is why we eat at the table," Stevie told her.

Summer's big dark eyes pleaded with her mother. "Daddy said I could eat in here to watch cartoons!"

"I know he did," Stevie ran a hand through her curly hair, turning her attention to the male Buckingham. "Honey, can you stop agonizing and relax for a while?"

"Yeah! You're hurting my neck." Robin complained and Stevie elbowed her. "Ow!" She yelped. "Well, he is!"

"He said he would call in the morning, Stevie. What if he doesn't take me back?"

"He will."

"I had no idea you and Alex were dating. Looks like you've got competition, Steves." Robin joked and both Lindsey and Stevie shot her a pointed look. "Geez!" She put her hands up in defense, flinging herself off the couch and onto her feet. "I see my comedic talents aren't appreciated here." She walked into the kitchen, pouring herself a cup of coffee. "It's too early to be in a bad mood. He's acting like it's a funeral," she grumbled to herself. She leaned against the counter and watched him.

"What if he doesn't call?" Lindsey asked, stopping momentarily to look at Stevie. His blue eyes were wide and full of worry.

"Then why don't you call him? It might make you feel better," Stevie suggested but Lindsey shook his head, rubbing a hand over the stubble that was forming on his chin. He was in terrible need of a shave and a haircut. Stevie missed his longer hair, but it was becoming unruly. It was almost as if he forgot how to take care of it. "What are you thinking?"

"I can't do that. I don't want to seem desperate."

"And wearing a trench in the rug doesn't? Come on, put your pride aside."

"If I do that, what do I have left?," he asked, putting his hands on his hips. He had the last car repossessed only a few days ago, his belongings had to be removed from the apartment and he didn't have the cash flow that he used to. He was only a session musician but he made good dough playing for the likes of Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and John Lee Hooker. He covered his face, and sat down on the couch. His shoulders slumped as he placed his elbows on his knees.

"Honey-Bun, can you eat in the kitchen for a minute with Aunt Robin? I'll tell you when American Bandstand comes on," Stevie said, wanting to have a conversation with Lindsey alone.

"Aw Mom, you know that show isn't cool anymore! It hasn't been cool since Donna Summer co-hosted last season!" Summer groaned and Lindsey lifted his head out of his hands, exchanging a brief shocked expression with Stevie. Firstly, a five year old with such a strong opinion of what's cool and what's not was new to both of them, but secondly, how did she remember last year's season? She was only four years old then. "Can we turn the channel and watch the Jetsons instead? I love Rosie the robot!"

"Sure thing, sweetheart." Stevie nodded, managing a small smile for her daughter. Summer hopped off the couch with her near-empty bowl of cereal, squeezing between her fathers's legs and the coffee table.

Stevie touched his back, rubbing it in slow circles. She wanted him to open up, but she could see him shutting down. "Why are you being so nice to me?"