Prologue

Lucas's POV

I ran toward the opened front door, taking a flying leap and shifting in midair. I was too excited about the thought of a run that I didn't care about my shredded clothes. I ran toward the forest that was right next to the pack house, where I lived.

My pack's name is The Running Wolf, and our Alpha is my father. I was the eldest of three; me being twelve, my younger brother- Trent- ten, and our little sister- Lila- six. I was the soon-to-be Alpha, and I couldn't wait.

I had just finished helping my dad with some papers. Noticing that I was getting antsy, he let me go out for a run.

Quickly, I found myself next to a stream. I looked down at it, seeing a reflection of my wolf staring right back at me.

My wolf was white with black markings on the top of my back, head, and tail. My ears were a mixture of light brown and black. I have sky blue eyes when I'm human, but when I turn into a wolf- or when my wolf tries to take control- my eyes become a dark ocean blue color.

I sat down, staring at the stream. I watched as the water moved quickly, seeing some fish and twigs going along with the water. Suddenly, my wolf snarled, sensing another presence. I turned from the stream, looking in the direction where I sensed the presence.

Dad, I called out through the mind link, What do you want?

Nothing, why? My dad's voice replied, sounding confused.

Well why are you here then?

Where? My dad still sounded confused.

I shook my head. There-there's someone in the forest with me... I took a deep breath, realizing that the scent wasn't familiar. Dad, I think we have some rogues here.

I'm on my way, My dad said.

Three wolves stepped from out of the shadows, coming closer to me.

I snarled.

The wolves snarled back, coming even closer towards me.

I held my ground, waiting for my dad to come.

When they took another step forward, I started growling. My wolf and I didn't like these guys, and he didn't want to try to hide it.

All I saw was a flash of fur before a stinging pain blossomed on my nose. I fell back, startled. One of the wolves had been bold enough to jump and me at swipe a paw to my nose.

I growled, leaping at the rogue and biting on his flank.

Yelping, the wolf took a step back, with me still biting its flank. The other two wolves jumped on me, clawing and biting anything that they could get their mouths and paws on.

I tried to fight back for as long as I could. There was just two too many of them, and only one young, still-in-training me.

With a final howl, I fell to the ground, wincing from the contact. Just before darkness came over me, I heard the sound of more wolves coming, growling, and fighting with each other.

Then, I let the darkness come over me.

Emily's POV

I heard the sound of a wolf's howl. It sound so hurt, so sad, so... agonized. I went over to my balcony, looking over to where the forest was near my house. With my mind made up, I put on a jacket and slipped on my shoes.