Chapter 18

Thanks for voting for My Mate's Pet, flyingdogs! (:

________________________________________________________

Saying that Tanner's room was a mess is a complete understatement.

His room looked like a pack of wolves came in and destroyed it, with alligators following their path. Add a whole night's worth of a teenage girl's tissues after a harsh break up and all of Tanner's drawers and his closet throwing up all its contents- and that was what you saw.

Tanner was huddled in a blanket on his bed- or at least I think that was Tanner.

"Oh my God..." Emily quietly said, looking around the room.

"Dude, come on," Nathan said, looking at the huddled Tanner on his bed. "You can't act like this forever."

"Uh, you guys?" Danny said, frowning. "That isn't Tanner."

I frowned, heading towards Tanner's bed. "What do you m-" My foot got caught on something, making me trip. Luckily, there was some stuff on the ground that broke my fall. Unluckily, that stuff happened to be the discarded piles of food that Tanner refused to eat.

"Aw, damn," I got up, taking my shirt off. It's only been a day and yet the food reeks. "What did I even trip on?"

"Tanner," Ethan told me.

I glanced behind me, looking for Tanner. "Where?"

"No, I mean- you tripped on Tanner."

I moved closer, peering at him. "Are you sure?" I was so close that my head was almost inside the blanket Tanner had rolled himself up in.

Peering in, I saw Tanner's emotionless cold black eyes- which meant that his wolf was pretty much in control- staring blankly at me. He had bags under his eyes since he refused to get any sleep, and just from looking at his face- which was a little paler than usual- I could tell that refusing to eat anything was taking a toll on him.

I sighed, looking at the guys. Shaking my head was the answer to the question in their eyes. Tanner definitely wasn't alright.

All of a sudden, there was a whimpering noise coming from Tanner. Not knowing what to do, I just slowly backed away.

"What the hell's going on?" Nathan asked.

Ethan sighed, rubbing his hand on his face, "I think it has something to do with his mate."

As if answering Ethan's question, Tanner's whimpering got louder.

"You mean like-"

Tanner's whimpering got a little louder, making me cut myself off.

"You mean like-"

I got distracted by Tanner's whimpering again.

"So, like-"

Tanner's whimpering didn't change or anything- I just cut myself off because I thought I'd get cut off by Tanner again.

"So you mean like- you think Tanner's whimpering has something to do with his mate?" I asked, frowning.

"Most likely." Ethan shrugged. "But don't take my word for it; this is my first time experiencing this."

Chase looked thoughtful, "So if Ethan's right, Tanner's whimpering most likely has something to do with his mate and a guy."

All of a sudden, Tanner started growling. His growls started getting louder and louder, sounding very fierce.

On instinct, I put my arm around Emily's waist, pulling her closer to me and farther from Tanner. I guess Tanner's growling was scaring her, because she huddled into my embrace more. Or maybe it was just because I was shirtless.