Chapter 35

Lucas on the top ^

________________________________________________________

"There's no reason to be nervous," I told Emily, trying to calm her nerves. It was a quarter until seven and we were in the car, on our way to meet Emily's parents at a restaurant for dinner. I guess they weren't comfortable having a dinner in the pack house, but I didn't blame them; if food was being made in the pack house, it was a given that everyone would be eating it. And I don't think Mrs. Watson wanted to cook enough to feed three armies.

Emily raised an eyebrow at me, "Really?"

I shrugged. "They're your parents, you know? I mean, it's not like they don't love you anymore." Man, I hope I didn't just jinx that.

"I wasn't worried about that," she retorted. "But now I'm starting to think about it, so thanks."

"Your welcome," I replied cheerfully, taking one hand off the steering wheel to pat her knee. As her mate, it was my job to make sure that she had nothing to worry about. I think I'm doing a pretty good job, if I do say so myself- not.

"This is going to be awkward," Emily whines after a moment of silence.

I raised an eyebrow at her, chuckling, "Isn't the first dinner your boyfriend has with his girlfriend's parents always awkward?"

She ran a hand through her hair, "But this will be especially awkward!"

"It'll be fine, Em," I reassured her once more.

"Why do I have a feeling that you're lying?" She asked wryly, arching an eyebrow as she turned to look at me.

It's probably because I was, but she didn't need to know that. Truth be told, I was almost as nervous as Emily for this dinner, but seeing as how she was almost to the point of hyperventilation, I figured I should put my nerves away and act as the voice of reason.

I shot a megawatt smile at her, turning my charm on. "Would I ever lie to you, my other half?"

"Yes," she scoffed at my- I do have to admit- pretty pathetic attempt to divert her suspicion. "You definitely would if it were for my own good," she said the last two words in a lower register, which I assume was a horrible impression of my voice.

"Emily, you suck."

"What?"

"See?" I sent a smug grin in her direction, "I lied to you and it wasn't for your own good."

She gave me an exasperated look, "Okay, so what was the point of that?"

"If you didn't get the point when I said it, you won't get it when I try to explain it to you." Truth be told, there wasn't exactly a point. It was just a way to distract her from overthinking this dinner with her parents; I'm just doing what any good mate would do.

"I think there's still enough time," she mumbled suddenly, looking at her phone.

I glanced at her, confused with her random sentence. "Enough time for what?"

"To cancel," she answered nonchalantly. "We can just tell them that I became sick suddenly. Like I caught a stomach virus or something!"

"Nope," I shook my head at her. "You're going to face your parents once and for all and tell them whatever you were going to tell them over a dinner that we will be eating together that is taking place tonight."

Emily sighed, then quickly looked back to me, "Or-"

"No, nope. Em, you gotta do this."

She sighed again, this time seeming to let all the air come out from her body as she deflated and sunk into the passenger seat. "Why? Why can't we just forget about this and go about our daily lives? Or better yet, just not go and pretend that this dinner happened and act like how we think we would if it actually did happen?"