Bonus Chapter 2

I stared at Caleb's skinny form as he hobbled, rather comically towards the parking lot. What's eating him? I shrugged as I walked off to my locker to get ready to go home. Dara would be wrapping up the cheerleading practice. I put the books I would need for homework in my bag and went off to the field to get Dara.
***********************************************************************************************
Caleb's POV
I stared at my beaten up face in the mirror and sighed. Grandma and Dara were still out, which was a relief. I sighed and just accepted the fact that after one look at my face, grandma would be in a warpath. I shuddered at the thought. Well, it wouldn't be the first time.

I threw myself on the bed and stared at the ceiling. My body hurt and bruised. The warm bath I took just now helped my aching body a lil bit, so it wasn't so bad. Just then the phone rang. I groaned as I peeled myself off the bed and walked out to the family room to answer it.
"Hullo." I mumbled.
"Hey, Caleb. It's me. I'm not coming home tonight. I'm staying over at Winnie's, we're having an emergency cheer meeting. I told grandma already. She's still at Bessie's and she'll be home late. Charlie told me to tell you to go on over to her place for dinner. They're having pot roast and Mr James won't be around. Mrs James kinda want you to come, keep them company." Dara said over the phone.

My eyes blinked rapidly. Ok, that's really convenient. Hanging out with Charlie without Dara. I sat up, suddenly alert. My heart beat wildly. Jeez, get a hold of yourself! Forcing myself to sound normal, I cleared my throat.

"Yeah, ok." I mumbled and hung up the phone. I took a deep breath and dashed to my room to take a quick shower. Again.

***********************************************************************************************

This is bad. Really bad. I shook my head as I looked away, trying not to look obvious that I was staring. Mrs James was merrily chattering about some mutual acquaintances that she met at the grocery shop just now. Charlie was giggling over her mum's funny story. Man, she has a nice smile. Totally lights up her face. Like, totally.Ho man, what the hell are you doing, Caleb..??! She's your sister's best friend. You're not supposed to be crushing on her. That's just too disturbing. Dara'll hate me and Charlie would think I was crazy. Wait, I'm crushing on Charlie?!

"Caleb, you want some more roast?" Mrs James said suddenly. I stared at her, startled. Mrs James looked at me expectantly. I just looked at her and quickly shook my head.

After dinner, I helped Charlie clean up while Mrs James went to the front with a cheesecake she bought after work.

We worked in silence as I washed all tbe dishes. Charlie was drying the plates beside me. Our forearms were kinda bumping into each other. Charlie looked like she didn't feel a thing. Me? Well, each bump brought delicious shivers and tingles down my spine that were slowly reducing my knees to jelly. It was so nerve-wracking. I wanted to get away, but I wanted to be as close to her as possible. I was a mess, totally in deep trouble.

When the dishes and the kitchen was clean, Charlie grabbed my face. She examined my face and frowned. I blinked my eyes rapidly at her, not moving away even an inch. She sighed and let go. I touched my cheeks. Wow, she touched my face like it's nothing. I was effed. She walked into the storage room beside the kitchen. Then she came out, carrying a first aid kit box. She put it on the breakfast counter and opened it. She took my hand and made me sit down. I did. She faced me and examined my face again. I took the chance to stare into her blue eyes and at those wet, pink lips of hers. I wonder what it would be like to kiss her.. How would she taste.. Judging from the way she smelt, all fresh and floral, I knew she would taste like heaven-

"Hey, Caleb! Earth to Caleb!" Charlie shook me from my trance. I shook myself and looked away, cursing myself for letting myself drift off like that. I have zero willpower. I gotta get a grip or Charlie will find out and shut me out of her life. She would think I was being weird. I flashed a cheeky smile. She smiled back and swatted me on my arm. Then she caught sight of my bruised face and sighed. She touched ny cheek again. I winced. She then opened the first aid kit box and took out the cotton, band aid and salve. She then started cleaning my cuts and bruises and putting cream on them.