Chapter 4

I looked at Dave, he was very worried. I had a feeling that it has to do something with Luke, but not just Luke.

"What is going on, Dave?"

"These people... They weren't normal thieves," he said, terrified. "We call them The Sharks."

I blinked at him. I became worried. I still didn't get used to the "aroma" around me. Yes, I get what happened, the apocalypse has begun. But I wonder, why me? Why am I the only female alive?

Dave noticed my confusion, he noticed me sinking deeply into my thoughts. I mean, you can't blame me, I'm still trying to digest everything that's happening.

"Do you need some time to digest everything?" Dave asked like he was reading my mind.

"No, I'm fine."

"Anyway, The Sharks are people you really don't want to mess with, as their name is, they are relentless predators, like sharks. They are bigger than us, the amount of people in this crew is big."

"So why won't you join them?"

Dave looked at me like I was asking the stupidest question that someone could have ever asked of all time in the entire humanity.

"Because they live like prisoners, they don't make their own choices, they don't live their life as they want to, they listen to one person. Their leader. They put their lives in his hands," Dave stopped for a second, looked frustrated.

"Dave? Is everything alright?" I asked him. He looked pale like he was thinking about something that hurts him.

"Don't put your life in someone's hands, they're bound to steal it away."

Dave and I heard footsteps going down the stairs. We both looked at the stairs and saw Gabriel carrying Luke in his hands.

Luke looked horrible, very pale, he had a big white bandage with a blood stain on his head. I was heartbroken for seeing him like this, he is just a young kid, he doesn't deserve to go through this pain.

"We better go, they already know where we are and it's pretty dangerous," Gabriel pointed his eyes at me. "It will be even more dangerous if they find out that we have a female in our group."

I swallowed, the noise was so loud that I'm sure Dave has heard it.

Fear.

"Where Axel and Sam are?" Dave asked as he was walking around the house, to see if he could spot them.

I went to Gabriel, then I was putting my hand on Luke's cheek. I don't why, but I felt so worried about his well being.

"He – he is just a young kid," tears were rolling down my cheeks, I know it would be impossible to stop them, so I decided to just let them roll.

"He is."

"Okay guys, let's go" A strong manly voice came from nowhere.

I turned around and saw both Axel and Dave coming from the room where the stairs to the basement are.

"Umm – where is Sam?" I asked them.

Axel was turning around as I saw Sam sleeps peacefully on his back.

"We should go now, the sooner is better," Gabriel said as he was walking to the main front door while still carrying Luke in his arms.

"Wait, are we leaving now?" I asked them.

Axel nodded at me.

"Like, now-now?" I asked again, to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

"Yes, Bella. We are leaving now" Axel said.

"It is still night outside" I pointed to the window, showing them that the moon and the thousand stars are still up there.

"We have to move as fast as possible," Gabriel said, calmly. "We had five people from The Sharks crew who probably tried kill us and take everything."

"Actually, it was more like eight" Dave smiled.

"Oh, sorry I wasn't specific enough!" Gabriel rolled his eyes at Dave.

"You get the point, Bella," Axel looked relaxed, surprisingly. "Let's go and take what's left of our medicine and food."

Axel told me to go to his room upstairs and take the backpacks from the closet inside. I ran up the stairs and opened the door so hard that if someone would've been standing behind the door his face would be ruined.

There were seven backpacks inside the closet, they were actually pretty big. I decided to take one backpack and put it inside of another backpack, to have another backpack just in case we will need will need it.

I took all of the backpacks and went down to the boys as fast as I could. I saw them organizing the medicines and the food, while Luke and Sam were resting on the floor beside them.

"I'm here" I whispered to them as I was walking behind them, getting down on my knees to help them put the right amount of medicine and food for any backpack.

"I'm going to scan this house for the last time, just in case we haven't forgotten anything," Axel said, as he was standing up and cleaning the dust from his jeans.

We organized everything pretty fast, then we were waiting for Axel to get back and to approve us that we didn't forget anything and we are good to go. We saw Axel coming back as he was walking quickly back to us, nodding us to put the backpacks on our backs.

"I'll carry Luke and Axel will carry Sam," Dave said, as Gabriel and I nodded at him.

We walked to the front door. Dave opened the door and got out of the house, Gabriel right after him. I stopped walking for a second and took a last look at the house, even if I stayed here only for barely one night, I just felt like I had to remember this place. Axel looked at me and smiled.

"Are you going to miss this place so bad, princess?" he smirked.

"Princess?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Don't act like you don't like me calling you a princess" Axel winked at me and walked out of the door.

I smiled. I don't know why. But I liked it when he called me a princess.

We closed the door and went into the woods, I guess we are not in a desert as I thought we were.