Breathe

Thomas p.o.v

"How the bloody hell do you expect me to climb up there?" Newt laughed, looking up to me. I sat high in the tree, waiting for Newt to come join me.

"I just showed you how! Come on, it's easy." I called down to him. Newt sighed and started climbing the trunk of the tree. After a few minutes of waiting a blonde head popped up in front of me. Newt's eyes were wide and he looked scared. I smiled at him, patting the spot next to me on the tree.

"We're really high up." Newt whispered nervously. His eyes were glued on the ground under us. I took his hand, intertwining our fingers, and giving it a light squeeze.

"It's okay Newtie, I won't let you fall." I grinned, looking at the sunset that was forming. Newt's breathing was uneven and I heard him shifting around, looking for something. Seconds later he had his inhaler in his hand and took a deep breath in, pressing the button on top. Newt relaxed after looking at the sunset as well.

"Sorry...I just got tired." He explained leaning his head on my shoulder. I kissed the top of his head, wrapping my free arm around his waist.

We sat for hours in the tree until Newt got a text from his mom telling him to come home. I gave him a kiss on the cheek, and watched how he climbed down slowly.

—————

The next morning I called Newt, not wanting to spend another minute without him. After a few rings, he picked up.

"Hi Tommy." His voice rang through my ears. I smiled thinking of the lovely blonde boy.

"Hey Newt, My mom is taking me ice skating. Would you like to come?" I tapped my fingers nervously on my desk, awaiting his response.

"Of course. But you should know, i'm bloody terrible on ice." Newt responded making me laugh. I told him that I would help him and that we would pick him up in 10 minuets.

I walked outside, grabbing two pairs of ice skates for Newt and I. My eyes wandered around my backyard and landed on something silver laying under the tree. I walked over to the big tree stopping to look at the trunk. Carved in it was T + N. Newt and I carved it when we were 14, I smiled remembering the day. Looking down I spotted the silver figure, Newt's inhaler. Just as I was about to grab it my moms voice yelled from inside.

"Thomas, We're leaving!" I turned around running back to the house, forgetting the inhaler in the grass.

———

I knocked on Newts front door, waiting for the blonde to answer. A couple seconds later the door flung open and revealed the slightly shorter boy. I smiled, stepping aside so he could walk to the car.

Once we both were inside the car, we started the drive to the ice rink. The car ride was maybe 10 minutes.

"Need some help there, Newtie?" I asked laughing as Newt attempted to tie his skates. He looked up and pouted, looking like an adorable kitten. I bent down and started to lace up his skates. "Okay, all set." I smiled taking his hand and pulling him up.

My mom said she wasn't going to skate but would watch us. Just before we stepped on the ice Newt stopped. I turned around and looked at him, a nervous smile spread across his face. I took his hand and pulled him on to the ice.

Newt wobbled a little, gaining his balance. I started to skate forward but Newt stayed put, gripping tightly on the wall. I skated back over to him and stopped a couple inches away.

"I'm going to fall." Newt laughed. I chuckled and skated backwards a bit. There were other people on the ice but they kept there distance.

"Just try and skate to me, it's not that far." I asked stretching my hand out a little to him. Newt sighed but moved slightly forward. I smiled and reached out for him, then he skated the remaining distance almost falling but I wrapped my arms around his waist. Newt looked up at me a small tint on his cheeks, I kissed his nose and my hands rested on his hips.