Chapter 13

A/N: Song "Edge of Town," by Middle Kids.

Outskirts of town in the middle of a small forest,

"Did you bring me here to murder me?" Ana eyed outside the window suspiciously.

Genevieve chuckled humorlessly and shook her head no. She rolled down the car's window and took in the decayed wooden cabin in front of her. The macabre shack was surrounded by dead undergrowth and an eerie atmosphere. It seemed to sway with the wind. 

They both cautiously stepped out of the car closing its doors behind them with a clack. Trepidation... Genevieve's breath hitched. She wiped her sweaty hands on her jeans and cleared her throat to dissipate the lump in it that refused to go away. 

She closed her eyes and evened her breathing.

Do it for Charlie... Do it for Charlie...

Still unable to calm her racing heart, she opened her eyes. The cabin was as menacing as before, if not more. It didn't help that the day was rather gloomy and foggy. The only sounds around them were the crunch of the dead leaves under their boots and the howling of the wind, which hit Genevieve's face with the coldness of a penguin's slap. She snorted with laughter. 

Penguin's slap. I should write that one down. Laughing at her misfortunes had always proved more useful than cowering or crying.

Genevieve turned to Ana grinning. "Did you bring the pickaxe, shovel, and flashlights I asked for? We're going in." 

"Oh-my-gosh! You are a psycho. I knew it all along!"

Genevieve rolled her eyes. Seriously Ana? "There's something-I-need buried in there."

"Do you even listen to yourself?" Ana's tone was aggravated but the sly smile on her face betrayed her. "That's how horror movies happen!"

"Is that a no?" Genevieve raised an eyebrow, amused.

"That's an I'm going with you and this better be good."

Genevieve chuckled. Ana opened the car's door and took two flashlights from the glove compartment. She threw one of the flashlights to Genevieve, who caught it with ease and tested it. Ana walked around the car and opened the trunk. She pulled out a shovel, which she gave Genevieve, and grabbed a pickaxe.