Chapter 5

< Chapter 5 >

Erin's POV -

The ride back home was silent, except for an occasional question followed by a "yes" or a "no."

Awkward level? 10000/10.

I could sense that he had questions to ask, but I wasn't going to ask him first. When we pulled into the driveway, he seemed to finally give in into his curiosity.

"Hey Erin, why is there a scar on your collarbone?" Of all questions, he had to ask this. I squirmed under his burning gaze, unwilling to talk about it. So I decided to play it off. "Oh this?" I pointed to my scar, "I forgot how I got it." He seemed to know I was lying, but he didn't ask any more questions.

The air in the car seemed to get thicker, as we stared intensely at each other. Finally, I averted my eyes and said, "I've got to head in. Nights Drew." "Nights Erin," he said softly.

As I got into bed, I kept tossing and turning, unable to sleep. I just stared into the darkness, thinking about all that happened today. In a span of 24 hours, my status have changed from "invisible Erin" to "Erin who's friends with popular James and bad boy Andrew." And here I was, wanting to stay invisible throughout senior year.

Fat hope.

The next morning, I felt like my head was about to explode from my lack of sleep. How do people function on less than 5 hours of sleep? And these people, they went for the party too, and probably stayed later than I did, how the hell are they so perky in the morning?! I just feel like punching somebody to ease my headache.

As I walked down the corridor, people stared at me as if they haven't seen me before. Yeah I was invisible, but haven't they seen me in any of their classes? 3 cheerleaders approached me and insulted my fashion sense. They said, "Oh my god that blouse is so hideous. And look at that pair of jeans, how can she wear that out?!" They spoke loudly, as if daring me to contradict them.

Seriously?

I'm not in the mood to deal with their nonsense. In class, I heard a few people whispering about me, but I couldn't hear what it was about.

At lunch, I finally saw Dan. And she quickly pulled me away from the cafeteria. "Haven't you heard?!" she whispered furiously. I gave her a blank look and she massaged her temples, saying, "Victoria is spreading rumors about you being a slut! She even has photos of you sleeping on her boyfriend, James' shoulder and you leaving the party with Andrew! This is bad, really bad. You know how people believe her words easily."

Tears burned at the back of my eyes as she said the word slut. But I pretended not to care. I don't care anymore. I won't care anymore. They can't affect me now.

"So what Dan? So what? It's not true, and I don't have to explain myself to people who believe just about anything and everything. I have nothing to hide," I exclaimed.

I admit I'm in deep shit right now, everyone would think something's going on between the 3 of us. But we all have a clear conscience. No one can make up something that's not true. They can believe what they want to believe in.

A loud commotion in the cafeteria caught my attention. Me and Dan walked in and apparently, James and Victoria, the 'IT' couple was fighting. I wonder if its because of this....

The 'IT' couple is always the head cheerleader and the quarterback of the football team. They're expected to live their perfect life and have their happily ever after like those endings in fairy tales.

"YOU cheated on me!" Victoria was making a scene now. James looked exasperated as he shouted, "I was NOT cheating on you! Erin's a friend, and I was lending her a shoulder to lean on! How many times do you want me to say that?!"

As I listened on, I realized that they were fighting because of me. Ugh. Why do I always ruin things?

Finally, I decided to step in. "Victoria. It's all my fault, please stop fighting with James." I pleaded. I don't want to be the cause of their break-up. James tried to assure me that it wasn't my fault, but Victoria shut him up with a glare. By now, I could feel everybody's eyes on us. Victoria scoffed at me and said, "Oh please, everyone knows you're a slut. I warned you to stay away from James and Andrew, didn't I?"

I tried to ignore her statement and was thinking of a rebuke when Drew came in with his buddies. "Woah woah, trouble in paradise?" He commented. He earned glares from both James and Victoria, and he quickly shut up after that. Shooting me a 'what the hell' look, he went to his usual table with his buddies.

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch, and Victoria shot me a look as if to say, "We'll continue this later." "I'm outta here," I thought. I'm definitely not staying in school.