12.9 Appearances and Apparitions

10:10 A.M.

Lane watched the police go about their business anxiously. She knew they were doing their jobs but could not help but notice how carelessly they moved about Adam. Was this what had happened to her body? Was she picked over and prodded - no longer a person to those around her? No. Surely Daly had done something with her.

She turned her attention back to Adam with a shudder. She felt robbed, like the universe had played a terrible, cruel joke on her. A joke in which she had found someone to understand her, and then he died. Lane had also died, but she remained, mostly. For a moment Lane wondered where Adam's soul was, as he lingered nearby, watching as she had right after her death. For a longer moment she waited for him to solidify, as she had. There were dozens of reasons that would not happen - Daly had performed some ritual before murdering her, and Lane was fairly certain Adam had not been a vampire. THe list could go on but there remained a tiny part of Lane which still watched, hoped, prayed (just a little) for there to be one reason it could happen.

There was a special sort of magic in New York, she had felt it after parting ways with Adam at the train station - it felt like years had passed since that moment. The fact that magic had brought them together once more felt special, Lane was not one to believe in coincidence, the world was much too clever for random happenstance.

So she waited for nothing in particular because maybe, as Sophia and Daisy ran around trying to extract information from the police - maybe she would notice something.