Chapter 6: An Shu is Scary

At first, breakfast is a quiet affair, because at the moment Shuang Xiang is too cowardly to talk directly to An Shu.

Picking on her congee (along with a deep-fried dough thingy that Shuang Xiang is not sure whether to eat it or not), Shuang Xiang keeps glancing towards An Shu, who is standing near the table with the same emotionless expression for the past fifteen minutes.

Ahhhh, the atmosphere is so awkward.

Please say something An Shu, Miss An Shu, the Beautiful, Reliable, and Powerful Fairy that is An Shu.

Please stop staring at me like you're trying to burn a hole through my skull. I would rather have the crying An Shu...

Wait, no she doesn't. An Shu crying is like taking a serrated knife into the gut and having it cut through her chest and into her heart, which then slowly bleeds dry until there is nothing left but a lump of flesh.

Still, that doesn't make the angry An Shu any less intimidating...

After scooping a spoonful of congee and taking a small bite of her fried dough, Shuang Xiang couldn't take any more of the silent treatment. Putting down her spoon, Shuang Xiang stares at An Shu with her big eyes, shining with resolution; "Are you angry with me?" An Shu looks startled by her straightforwardness, her blank face showing a trace of surprise. Shuang Xiang pushes on. "If you are, can you tell me what I did wrong?"

Honestly, there were a lot of things that Shuang Xiang could have done to make dignified and steady An Shu angry.

First of all, she's not the original owner of this body, Cheng Xiulan. Therefore, she does not know how to act like Cheng Xiulan.

Two, her knowledge of Chinese mannerisms and social context is limited to light novels and period dramas.

Three, Shuang Xiang's personality is a little... blunt. And sometimes crude. She has been acting with her most polite mannerisms in front of An Shu and the original owner's sister, Cheng Bao, but it wouldn't be surprising if something slips by her without her realizing it.

Did she cuss somewhere during her talk with the Fourth Miss???

Or say something equally as offensive??

Shit, she can't remember.

Shuang Xiang can't help but start squirming as An Shu stays quiet, the maidservant still staring at her intensely with her dark, elegant eyes. Then suddenly, An Shu's facial features relax, the corners of her eyes softening as her eyebrows tilt downwards. Shuang Xiang can read the frustration in her expression, the way her pink, petal-like lips purse and her eyes burn like dying embers and—it makes her seem more formidable but helpless at the same time.

"Young Miss, are you—" An Shu scoffs harshly under her breath, the simmering anger now more evident than before. "Does it not upset Young Miss to end your engagement with the Second Prince?"

Shuang Xiang: "Not at all."

An Shu: "..." Please hesitate a little bit more on your answer.

"Really, it's okay!" Shuang Xiang reassures quickly, seeing that An Shu is not convinced by her sincerity. "But... it seems that An Shu... wishes for me to marry the Second Prince?"

"It's not like that, Young Miss," An Shu quickly denies, her eyes darkening even further and her complexion turning black. "Young Miss was engaged to the Second Prince since the age of four—"

So young??? Why so young??

"—and yet, once you have reached marriageable age—"

What is marriageable age anyway?? Someone please tell her it's not thirteen.