Chapter 11: I'll Take Care of You

Shuang Xiang was able to find another tree close enough to the back walls of the Summer Courtyard to leap over the wall and then back into the tree that she had first used to escape from the Cheng estate in the first place. The process was slow and painful at first since she wasn't blinded by emotions and cushioned with adrenaline to block out the physical pain of her body. Not to mention, since she has been in a constant state of despair, desperation, and depression for the past several hours, Shuang Xiang is exhausted to the point that she is ready to sleep on her feet, no matter the location.

She probably looks like a zombie of some sort as she drags her feet back towards the Noble District (not without asking for directions from several different people—holy shit, she hasn't realized how large a whole city could be without public transportation), seeing how people that she had met on the way would run away at the sight of her.

She doesn't look that bad, does she?

Either way, she can only grit through the throbbing pain of her body as she steadily climbs down the tree and into the courtyard and onto the ground.

As soon as her feet touch the floor, she hears a loud noise within the pavilion and the sound of glass breaking soon after. Before Shuang Xiang can react, the doors into the bedroom slides open with a clatter and a frazzled An Shu marches out with a stormy expression, startling Shuang Xiang. The maidservant looks ready to do something drastic, but then freezes at the sight of her Miss, standing there near the tree with wide eyes and a surprised face.

"...Young Miss?" An Shu questions hoarsely, causing Shuang Xiang to flinch in guilt at how horrible the maidservant sound.

"...I'm home?" Shuang Xiang squeaks awkwardly and the disbelief that was An Shu's face turns darker in what looks to be anger.

Shuang Xiang gulps as she watches An Shu's shoulders start trembling in restrained fury.

"Welcome home, Young Miss," An Shu says in the most pleasant tone that Shuang Xiang ever has the pleasure of hearing while a chill runs down her spine rapidly. She can feel herself sweating when she sees the corners of An Shu's mouth turn upwards. "How was your day? Since Young Miss had come back so late, Young Miss must have enjoyed her time outside. Without telling this servant where you are. Or when you will be coming back." Shuang Xiang ducks her head, feeling the sharp stabs of An Shu's words. "But this servant understand. Young Miss needed to leave, immediately so that Young Miss had forgotten her shoes. And put up her hair. And without any bodyguards."

"I got shoes with me!" Shuang Xiang blurts out in a panicked fashion, lifting her skirts to show off a pair of plain, tan flats on her feet. Unfortunately, the perfect smile on An Shu's face does not falter from her statement.

"Oh? And where did these new shoes come from?"

"...I borrowed them from a friend..." Shuang Xiang reluctantly admits with fidgeting fingers, shrinking as An Shu's eyes started to curve upwards.

"From a 'friend'? This servant is thankful that Young Miss has decided to be sociable since all that this servant can do is pray and wait for her Miss's return."

"...I'm sorry," Shuang Xiang meekly apologizes, ducking her head like a chastised schoolboy.

It seems that An Shu wasn't expecting her Miss to actually apologize in the first place, seeing that the maidservant has paused for a minute, staring at Shuang Xiang, before sighing, "Is it because of Young Miss's engagement with the Second Prince?"

"What?" Shuang Xiang sputters out, bewildered by the other's assessment. Why does An Shu always comes back to the Second Prince?? Cheng Xiulan and the Second Prince have only met, like, three times in their entire lives! "I-It's nothing like that!"