Chapter 8: Escape

Unsurprisingly, Shuang Xiang finds it hard to swallow anything, much less keep it down, but she continues eating her lunch as if she wasn't ready to upchuck everything into the air. As she chews slowly through a piece of roasted duck (which is dry and greasy as fuck), Shuang Xiang starts reviewing what she has learned in the few hours that she had meditated.

Cheng Xiulan is the seventh daughter born in the Cheng household—which she had already guessed in the last several hours Shuang Xiang have been here. Cheng Xiulan's father is the Prime Minister—which, ugh, politics. She has nine sisters and three brothers, most of which actually hate her or act like she's the insect beneath their feet, and it's only fair that the majority of her father's wives find her the most insignificant thing to have ever existed.

Honestly, she's more freaked out about the fact she has twelve half-siblings and seven so-called mothers—like where in the hell does her father find the time???

Then again, considering her neglectful and abusive situation, he probably doesn't.

Anyway, the reason why Cheng Xiulan is declared as a good-for-nothing and useless Miss – becoming the black sheep of the Cheng family– is because of the fact she has a red soul potential; which is apparently bad considering Cheng family's general reaction to her existence.

There wasn't a lot of information as to why having a red soul potential is bad—it just is. Apparently, so far that Cheng Xiulan can only gather by the mocking insults of her family, having a red soul potential means she has the lowest talent in concern towards cultivation.

How does possessing a red soul mean she has little to no talent in cultivation? Frankly, Cheng Xiulan does not know. She just took her relative's venomous words to heart and accepted the fact she wouldn't amount to much.

What Cheng Xiulan does know is that red soul potentials are the most common of all colored potentials in the continent of Guanyu. Such 'commonality' doesn't fit in with the prestige of the Cheng family—especially since the young Master and Misses of the Prime Minister all have soul potentials higher than a yellow soul. In fact, the Cheng family are known in the Imperial city to be the family of geniuses. So having a Young Miss whose soul potential is red is pretty much an eyesore in a group of golden geese.

But that's their problem, not hers.

What Shuang Xiang wants to know is what exactly make a red soul so fucking useless?? Doesn't a red soul still have the potential to cultivate or is it just the difficulty in cultivation that people look down at red souls? Then why does having a red soul makes cultivation more difficult than other souls???

Sadly, all Cheng Xiulan knows (from her mother's and some tutor's careless teachings) is that a red soul potential is basically a trash soul potential and that it's the most common colored potential in comparison to others.

That's just it.

Shuang Xiang wants to yell bullshit out loud.

If cultivation is such an important thing to keep the world running, then everyone would be cultivating despite their soul potential! Don't just call her a waste just because of something that wasn't her fault in the first place!

Shuang Xiang chews rather violently through her lunch, her mood dropping the longer she thinks about her so-called family.

Honestly, Shuang Xiang can't care less about cultivation—she didn't need such a thing in her last life to be happy so she didn't think she would need it now, but as a modern woman who is used to getting accessible information from the internet, there is something irritating about the lack of details in concern towards the nature of soul potential.