Chapter 13

Ahad

After having a scrumptious dinner with Layla at her place (Did I mention earlier how good of a cook she was?), I took her out for a long drive. She wanted to have some ice cream so I bought her favorite flavor – maple syrup – and then went back to drop her home.

'So, we're here,' I finally said as I pulled the car into her driveway.

She was silent for the whole journey and took a long sigh when I pulled the car in.

'What happened?' I asked, taking her warm hand in mine. 'Don't wanna go?'

She stifled a small smile but then her expression smoothened.

'You really do love me, don't you?' she asked, looking at me.

'Of course, you know I do.'

'But...sometimes...even love is not enough to make us happy,' she said slowly.

I was a bit shaken up by what she said.

'What do you mean, Layla?' I asked, crossing my brows.

'You say you love me but won't let me go to New York,' she said.

'God,' I moaned. 'Not again.' I looked away. Had I known she was about to bring up this topic, I would have just left her place already.

'Ahad, please. If you love me, if you want to see me happy, then please let me go,' she said in a pleading voice.

'Does leaving me makes you happy?' I turned around to face her, holding her hand steadily.

'No,' she whispered.

'Then why are you leaving me?' I frowned, my voice low.

'I am not leaving you, Ahad. I can never ever think of leaving you. I am just going there for some while. I want to experience independence. If I stay here, I won't be able to feel like that ever. Staying here means like I am some job... some responsibility. I don't want to become a burden for you.'

'That's not what it is and you know that,' I said firmly, shaking my head.

'Ahad, I swear, I'm going to come back. It's only a matter of few months. Please. I have my aunt to look after me. Please, Ahad. I can't just leave with you being not happy about it.'

I sighed. I felt I was going to lose this debate. I was going to lose this battle. I didn't have the courage to stop her. She had been asking for this for one whole year. I didn't know how long I would be able to stop her. She was an adult, not a kid who could be controlled.

'I have a condition,' I blurted out, looking at her.

'Um, what? Say it and I will agree to anything!' she said animatedly.

'Are you sure?' I raised a brow.

'Yes!'

'Okay, so when you come back from your stay in NY, we're going to get married!'

'What?' She was shocked.

I nodded, trying to gauge her reaction.

'Mr. Ahad Rizwan, are you trying to propose me?'

'Well. I guess I am.' I shrugged lightly.

She put a hand on her lips, her eyes widened and then broke into laughter.

'What happened?' I asked, confused.

'Okay. I say 'yes',' she said, grinning uncontrollably.

Damn. She said it.

'Layla. . .' I felt I was at loss for words. 'What am I going to do when I miss you? I won't be able to drive to your place in the wee hours of the night and make love to you,' I said, feeling miserable.

She laughed at my response and pulled me in for a hug.

'I love you, Ahad. You can always fly over to NY if you miss me. Plus, we'll Skype every day!' She hugged me tightly and I hugged her back, inhaling the fragrance of the shampoo she used in her hair.

'I'll miss you, Layla. I don't know what life would be without you being here,' I told her, snuggling into her hair.

'Let's put ourselves to test then. Let's see if our love is capable of this challenge.' She withdrew back, looking into my eyes. I don't remember the last time I'd seen her this happier. I wish I could have agreed to her request long time ago.

'Our love is capable of every challenge.' I held her face in my hands delicately and leaned in closer to kiss her lips. 'I love you.'

'I love you too,' she said, between our kisses.

I came back home sooner than I had expected. My family, including Dad, Maa, and Asher Bhai, sat comfortably in the TV lounge as they nibbled on the popcorn.

'Watching any movie?' I asked them as I sat down on the couch, my eyes diverting on the TV screen.

'Home Alone,' Asher Bhai said, smiling.

'Seriously? I can't believe you guys!' I rolled my eyes. We had seen this movie countless of times and still never got over it. Whenever it was on TV, we left behind all our chores and watched the movie. I assumed that's what all of us were doing right now.

When the credits finally rolled on the TV screen, I took out my cell phone from my jeans pocket and started having a look at the notifications and messages.

'So Ahad, what did you think of marriage? Should we talk to Layla's father?' Ma asked me out of nowhere.

'What?' I asked, frowning. 'Ma, I told you to focus only on Bhaai's marriage for now. I can wait.'

'How long are you going to wait? I don't think Layla's father would wait for that long,' Dad interjected.

'Dad, Uncle Babar has no such issues. In fact, Layla is going to NY for some time. She has a job offer. She said we'd get married when she comes back.'

'What? Babar never mentioned about this job,' Dad surmised.

'She has been telling me about it for a year now,' I told him.

'Are you saying she has been holding on to this job for a year?' Asher Bhai joined in. 'I wonder what kind of an employer waits for a whole year.'

'Actually, they're quite impressed with Layla's work and can't wait to have her on board. So, yes, they have been waiting for her to say yes to them.'

'Wow. That's impressive.' Asher Bhai nodded encouragingly.

'Acha chalo theek hai. We'll plan your wedding next year. Filhaal, let's focus on Asher,' Maa said, changing the topic. Asher Bhaai flushed at the mention of his marriage.

'Haan, Asher Bhaai. It's your time for now. Did you look at the pictures Ma was showing you the other day?' I asked, rolling up my sleeves on my arm.

'Uh, no, I didn't,' he said.

'But why?' Maa asked, concerned. 'How are we going to select a girl unless you do not have a look at the pictures?'

'Maa, I don't think it is required,' he said, holding her hand, his eyes gleaming.

'What do you mean?' she asked. 'Larki toh dekhni hai na.'

He smiled before he said, 'Nahin Maa, you don't need to find anyone for me.'

My mouth fell open. I had never seen Asher Bhaai talk about something with such gravity.

'I think I have found someone,' he said, his face breaking into a shy smile.