Chapter 20

Ahad

Yanking open the front door of my room, I rushed into the living room, my eyes searching for Asher Bhaai. 

'Bhaai?' I called for him as I looked for him everywhere.
'I am here, Ahad,' Asher Bhaai said, standing on the sprawling wooden staircase. 'What's the matter?' A small crease appeared between his brows. 

Seeing his face brought an immediate relief on my face.

'Uh...' I searched for the right words, thinking how to start the topic. 'I was... I was looking for you at the hospital. You left early today?' I tried to put some ease in my voice and I thought I did well.

'Not really.' He stepped down the staircase with his hands tucked into his trousers pockets. 'I came back home after completing the rounds. How's Layla doing now?'

'She's much...better,' I told him, nodding, slightly getting distracted by hearing Layla's name. I had to stay with her in the hospital tonight. 

'She must be... After all, she is in the right hands.' He smiled, a flicker of pride reflecting in his smile. 

It took me a few seconds to observe the calm on his face. I had never seen such calm and tranquility on his face. Was he seriously into her?

'Dr. Mira knows her job well. She has been treating patients suffering from CF for quite some time now. Layla will have a stable condition if she keeps consulting her on and off.'

'Yeah, right, only if she does,' I said wryly. 

'Why not?' A small frown appeared between his brows.

'Bhaai, I told you she is moving to NY. Apparently, her dad wants the same for her and he thinks she will receive better medical attention over there.'

'Well, I won't contradict him but only say that we are trying our level best to make CF fully treatable in Pakistan. We have some best doctors here. Dr. Mira is...'

'I know, Bhaai, I know...' I cut him in between because I couldn't take it anymore. It was becoming slightly problematic to listen to the praiseworthy words for her from my own brother. 'You may have the best team but it takes a good leader to take everything into his own hands and you're the best leader. I know you can do it.' I smiled at him. 

'Thanks, buddy, but why have you started sounding like Dad all of a sudden?' He patted me on my shoulder, grinning. 'Now tell me, what were you supposed to talk to me about?'

I paused for a while, contemplating what would I say next to him. Now was the good time to tell him everything, once and for all. 

'Bhaai... Uh... I... I wanted to talk about Mira,' I said with a finality. 

'What about her?' he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. There were no traces of hint or doubt flashing across his face. 

'Do you want to... I mean are you sure about her?' I changed the question instantly.
He snorted. 'What makes you think I am not?'

'I don't know. You've never been the type of person who'd like someone...'

Asher Bhaai stifled a laugh. 'Ahad, kya hogaya hai yar? (What has happened to you?) Why do you and Maa think I am not capable of liking someone?'

'No, Bhaai.' I shook my head. 'It's not like that. That's what not I meant. I just think maybe you should give it a thought. You must have to know someone deeply to make a decision because it's marriage we are talking about.' I did not know what the hell I was blurting out because all I had to do was tell my brother everything I knew about Mira. What the hell was I really doing? Or saying for that matter?