Chapter 26

Ahad

There was something roguish about Mira's smile. I felt uneasy after I congratulated her and then witnessed a crooked smile on her face. I might be wrong but I did not want to completely trust her. I could never trust her given how wrongly she had lied to me in our teenage years. First impression is the last impression - I've always believed in this expression and will continue doing so in spite of everything.

After the preliminary baat pukki situation, we were all escorted to the dining room. Daadi made us try each and every dish laid out on the dining table. I must say every item was mouth-watering - the kind of taste I might not have experienced even at my own home. Our cook had to learn some real cooking, I realized.

As my family gobbled down the items placed before them, I peeked at Asher Bhaai from the corner of my eye. Much to my dismay and expectation, he had locked his eyes on Mira. On the other hand, Mira kept her gaze low, only trying to glance back at Asher Bhaai between breaks.

My parents suggested for a proper engagement party as it normally happened in our elite circle. The idea, somehow, seemed a bit unappealing to Daadi. She wanted a low-key event where we would only invite the close relatives. My parents shared a quick glance as if consulting each other through eyes. Before they could come with an answer, Asher Bhaai stepped in between, saying he agrees with Daadi's idea and that we should only go for a private event, inviting only close-knit relatives and friends.

His intervention came as no surprise to me because I knew he was heavily influenced by Mira's presence in his life and would do anything to please her and her family. I remained quiet the whole time and kept watching the scene unfold in front of my eyes.

Both Dad and Maa reluctantly agreed and then started having a discussion about setting the engagement date. Meanwhile, I continued observing Mira's demeanor around my brother. Before I could catch her gazing back at me, a new text message pinged on my phone, demanding my attention. Only when I checked it I realized it was from Layla.

Layla. How could I have forgotten about her? She was supposed to leave for NY with her dad tonight.

'Where are you?' She had typed.

'On my way!' I replied back, my fingers shaking.

As soon as I stood on my feet abruptly, everyone present in the drawing room stopped talking and looked at me. How I wish I had not drawn their attention. I could have escaped silently.

'Ahad, where are you going?' Maa asked, concerned.

'Maa, I have to leave. It's Layla,' I told her, a slight panic rising in my voice.

'Is she okay? What happened to her?' Mira, of all, asked, standing on her feet. She was her doctor and she had treated her recently so her concern for Layla seemed justified.

'Yes, she's fine,' I reassured her, nodding.

She nodded back at me, her lips pursed into a thin line.

'Then what's wrong, Ahad?' Dad asked.

'She's leaving for NY tonight so I have to be with her. All of you please carry on with the discussions,' I told them, joining my hands together. 'And Maa, I will join you guys tonight.' I added before I started making my way towards the exit.

'Ahad, wait,' I heard Asher Bhaai calling behind me but I did not stop. Without looking back, I dashed out of the drawing room and then stepped out of the house.

***

It took me about thirty minutes to reach Layla's place. When I climbed up her staircase and approached her room, I found Uncle Hayaat leaning against the door. He seemed to be in a dubious state.