1

Jongdae never understood the sense of werewolf ranks. He never understood why there must be an alpha, beta, and an omega. What is so important in having a title that either highs or lows you from the others? What is the true significance of werewolf packs when there will never be an equality?

He never understood that mindset where wolves have to look up and follow a werewolf 'higher than them'. That is why he swore before that when the time comes, he would be an alpha who will promote equality and not push others to obey him.

But that was before.

Before he finds out that he is not an alpha. Before he realizes that it is him who is actually a 'lower' werewolf.

Jongdae, in wolf form, walks his four paws deeper into the woods, not minding the fact that he doesn't even know this path, and that he doesn't even know where he's heading to. His mind is a bit blank, for when he tried to forget what he overheard last night, he almost forgets who he is.

He is a son of an alpha male wolf and a beta female wolf, expected to be the one who will complete the three alphas of their family, but when he turns eighteen, they find out that he is actually an omega.

For a year, he thought it is okay, that he is accepted, but he was wrong. He has received bad treatment from his alpha siblings and they constantly degrade him and remind him he's just an omega. He said he can take those, as long as his parents genuinely accepted him.

Boy, was he so wrong.

He was just going to go out of his room that night when he heard his parents talking about him.

"Do you still not understand? He is an omega and that means he is born weak. He is weak."

"He is still our son."

"No, he is not. I don't have an omega child. He is not my child."

"Tone it down. Jongdae might hear."

"So what if he does? It is better for him to know where he should be standing. He doesn't deserve to be part of this family. He just ruins our reputation. He is making it look like we have a weak bloodline. He is the worst child I've ever had."

'Worst child,' his wolf scoffs, 'but you're still the best for me!' His wolf keeps cheering him up.

'Being an omega doesn't necessarily mean you're weak, Jongdae,' his wolf murmurs to him.

He looks down at his paws, noting his white fur, with little streaks of grey.

'I'm weak,' he thinks.

'No, you're not. We're not! Jongdae is strong. That is why we are best friends, right?' that little voice in his head chirped.

He nods inwardly and smiles in his head. At least he has a great bond with his wolf. That can solve everything.

But then he smells the scent of an alpha and he immediately scurries to hide behind a huge tree.

He looks out to see if the wolf is already there but nothing comes to sight. So he calmly goes out from where he is hiding, only to be startled by the alpha at his back.

"What are you doing here, omega?" the wolf asks through werewolf telepathy.

Jongdae mentally winces at the name, and he stares at those bright red eyes.

Alpha.

He has an urge to bow to the alpha, but he fights it by forcing himself to keep still.

"What are you doing here?" the black-furred wolf repeats.

"What?" he asks, and he steps back to look down, mentally cursing, partly because he didn't respond to the alpha the way he should and partly because he realizes he has just stepped into a pack's territory.

The alpha snarls at the behavior, but instantly waves it off with a soft purr.

"I'm sorry. That growl was instinctive."

Jongdae freezes. This wolf is too gentle for an alpha.

He tilts his head and recognizes those shiny eyes.

"Alpha.." Jongdae trails off. He is sure he has seen those eyes before, only that they were blue back then.

The alpha tilts his head, mimicking Jongdae.

"Lu Han..?" the younger inquires, making the other flinch slightly in shock.

"You know me?" Lu Han asks, amused.

Jongdae is about to step into the 'pack's territory' but his wolf reminds him of it, so he just longingly gazes at the wolf he had known long ago.

"Don't you remember me? The one with 'kitten lips'.."

Lu Han crosses the territory and leans his head to the other's shoulder.

"Jongdae.. We've met again.." There was a sudden sadness in the alpha's voice that made the latter pull away.

"Why? Is there something wrong?" he asks in concern.

The alpha shakes his head. "Nothing, I just remembered someone."

Jongdae thinks thoroughly but all he can remember from five years ago is the one with the round cat-like eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Fourteen-year old Jongdae sniffles and hurriedly wipes his eyes with the back of his hands.

The round-eyed boy faces him and cups his face with his two hands. The boy's hands are warm and cozy, and his breath fans Jongdae's face before the latter realizes that the boy is leaning towards him as he gives Jongdae a kiss on the lips.

His lips are soft and plump.

Jongdae feels it even if the boy's lips on his took just mere seconds. He almost bites on the boy's lower lip by instinct but he holds back.

The boy trails kisses to his cheeks and along his jawline.

"I smell you, my mate," the older boy whispers in his ear before he licks and nibbles on his earlobe, making Jongdae's skin break into goosebumps. Jongdae sits still, frozen, in his spot on the grass.

From how good that love lick felt, Jongdae is sure this boy is telling the truth.

The moment the boy pulls away from Jongdae, the latter whines from the loss of contact, and he is met by alpha bright red eyes.

At the age of fourteen, he has found his destined mate. But within three minutes, he is gone.

With the sound of a car's horn, the lovely feline-eyed boy rushes to the car, eyes longingly staring out of the car window, meeting Jongdae's stare.

"I'm sorry," he murmurs to Jongdae, and the car drives its way farther from him. That moment, Jongdae feels like he was on a cloud floating, but then that cloud disappears and he falls straight down to the ground. He's sure the slight tug in his chest tells him his mate is leaving and going farther, but he is too scared to try and go for what he wants.