chapter 7

Scorpius was right: the replies came the next day, dropped off with breakfast. He got a letter; Rose got a letter and a package.

            "Merlin's pants, they did send another cake," she laughed, holding up the box. "Wanna bet that's what this is?"

            Scorpius choked with laughter. "Merlin's pants?"

            "It's a family thing," Rose said, still giggling. She tore open the package, and her laughter grew harder. "Look!"

            There was, indeed, another cake; this one had the Ravenclaw emblem on the front and read, "Congratulations, New Ravenclaw!" in bright blue frosting.

            "So they're not going to kill me," Rose said brightly as she opened her letter. "'Dear Rose,'" she read, "'I almost killed your father when I found out he sent you a Gryffindor cake before you were Sorted. Of course we're glad you're in Ravenclaw; we're just a bit surprised, that's all. Not too surprised, though – we always knew you were smart. What's the common room like? Hogwarts, A History always said that it might be the most beautiful common room in the school.'"

            She paused for a moment, reddening slightly; then, she gave a sheepish grin and read, "'Your father and I can't believe that Scorpius Malfoy is in Ravenclaw too – maybe he's not as bad as his father.'" 

            Scorpius smiled back. "You don't have to be embarrassed – I know he was probably horrible to your mum and dad, even before the war." Mrs. Weasley was a Muggle-born, after all, and the Weasleys were the biggest blood traitor family in existence.

            Rose kept reading, looking relieved. "'Your dad wants to put in a little bit – I think he's embarrassed over the cake. I hope you like your new House as much as I liked Gryffindor; I'm sure the Sorting Hat made the right decision, whatever your father's going to say. I spent quite a lot of time trying to defend why I wasn't in Ravenclaw, but Gryffindor was right for me. I'm sure the reverse is true for you.'"

            The writing changed from script to scrawl, and Rose smiled. "That's my dad's writing," she said. "'Dear Rosie, I always knew you had your mother's brains, but I never thought you wouldn't be in Gryffindor. I mean, your mother was in Gryffindor, and you're just as brave as she is – but I guess the Sorting Hat thought you were even brainier than her. You'd better do better than she did on her O.W.L.s!'"

            She grinned. "My mum had all 'Os' and one 'E,' and she took everything except Muggle Studies and Divination – and she might've done the Muggle Studies O.W.L. anyway, I can't remember. So no pressure or anything."

            "My dad told me the same thing before I even left the train station," Scorpius admitted, "and he thought I'd be in Slytherin." He looked at the parchment in his hand, wondering what it said.

            "If you want, I'll stop and let you read yours," Rose offered, but Scorpius shook his head. Like the Sorting Hat, it was something he would rather put off as long as possible.

            "'Sorry about the cake,'" she continued. "'Like your mother said, I was so sure you'd be in Gryffindor that I thought it was okay to send it. I bet all your cousins are surprised!'" Her grin grew wider. "That's a slight understatement. I wonder if Al or James will write Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny about the Sorting."

            Returning to the letter, she read, "'Write us back soon and let us know how you like your House and your new friends. Lots of love, Mum and Dad.'"

            "So your parents are fine," he said.

            "Yeah, but wait until I tell them who my new best friend is," she said. "I bet Dad will go nuts."