Wish you were here

"I can be tough, I can be strong but with you it's not like that at all. There's a girl that gives a shit behind this wall, you just walked through it..."

Ohio: April's POV

April dejectedly sat down on her designated seat and buckled her seat belt; she plucked her phone from her bag as she leans back. She tapped on the screen multiple times before letting out a frustrated sigh; "Stop it! He didn't even say goodbye to you, that's already proof enough that it meant nothing to him" she chastised herself. She then turned off her phone and stuffed it inside her bag; she turned towards her side and gazed out of the window.

Flashback:

Jackson is reading some charts as he walks inside his patient's room and saw April; he walked towards her and stared at his friend; "Okay?"

April turned towards her best friend;"Uh, no change-just, I don't want to mess this up like I messed up everything else" she said dejectedly.

Jackson furrowed his brows; "What? You were great in the O.R."

April pursed her lips;"I wasn't the Gunther. I was a superduper assistant" she paused and averted her gaze. "They're gonna fire me as Chief Resident" she said with worry.

Jackson let out a small smile; "No, it's your first day so just make it do it again" he said while squeezing April's shoulder for comfort.

April turned towards Jackson again and let out a small smile.

oOo

"Chief frigging resident, unbelievable!" Jackson said boisterously as he entered the room.

April cringed; "I'm sorry" she said guiltily.

Jackson pulled a chair and sat beside April; "What? Don't be. You deserved it. I'm happy, I have what I want" he said while looking at Lexie.

"It's such a crappy year, I can't believe we're both happy. I can't believe they like me enough to make me Chief Resident, they hated me for so long, I can't believe I actually have friends here" April said with amazement.

Jackson shifted his eyes to the computer monitor and began typing on the keyboard; "Well, they're gonna hate you again but it's now your job boss them around" he said.

April paused and stared at Jackson incredulously.

"You know how much they love that"

April scrunched her face; "Oh God, it's that true?" she asked.

Jackson bit his bottom lip to keep himself from smiling; he then turned towards the red head and nodded his head solemnly.

April's eyes widen in mortification as panic sets in; she then turned her eyes towards the window and stared at it blankly. "That's true."

Jackson smirked at April's reaction and followed her gaze; he let out huge smile upon seeing his girlfriend watching them with a smile.

End of Flashback

April closed her eyes and leans her forehead on the window pane as she ponders about her predicament; maybe they're better of as best friends and the proverbial line between them should never have been crossed. They were good together and the memories that she just thought of proved it; Jackson was her rock, the only constant thing all throughout her whole residency and now even that was taken away-along with her job. It was her fault though; she initiated the whole thing, from the very first kiss up to the very uncharacteristic dirty talk she initiated inside the men's room, of all places. April opened her eyes and almost instantly, tears trickled down her cheeks, taking a walk back on memory lane when things are still fresh was not a good idea.