Newtmas - You're Safe

"Newt?" Thomas' voice came out in a whisper. His best friend who'd died in front of him, was standing right here, a foot away.

"Yeah, Tommy. I'm here." Newt's face broke out in a smile, as Thomas dove into his arms, grasping onto his hair and jacket like he would float away if he let go.

"How...how is this possible?" Thomas leaned away from the embrace, looking into Newt's brown eyes, tears threatening to escape his own.

"It was all a test, Tommy. WCKD forced me to pretend I had the flare. They made me stab myself. It was all just another test to see how your brain would react to it. They were still looking for a cure; they were always looking for a cure."

~~~
Thomas' POV

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. WCKD hurt my best friend; made him do something he'll never forget because of it. New rage filled me at the thought, but Newt read my mind too fast for me to act on it.

"Tommy, trust me. I'm okay. They can't hurt me anymore." My eyes fill with new tears as I realize how all of this is even possible.

"Newt..." I can't get the words out. "Does this mean you're immune?" I hold my breath, waiting for his answer.

"Yeah." He responds.

A sob escapes my lips as I pull him into another firm hug. "Thank God. I'm so sorry Newt. I...I didn't want to fight you or hurt you. I never wanted to hurt you." I'm shaking as Newt shushes me, whispering little nothings to me as he brushes his hand up and down my back, soothing me. My cries slowly fade until there's only dried tears on my cheeks.

"But how'd you get out? We left you there." I ask.

"A berg the Right Arm took from WCKD came and got me. They cleaned me up and took me here." I nodded as we sat down in the sand. "Your berg." He added. My eyes found his.

"You were unconscious when I got on. Minho and the others were trying to keep you alive and I just stood there, so scared. I really thought you would die on that thing."

"But I didn't." I tell him, bringing his hand into my own, looking out at the horizon.

"I know." He nods. "Hey, I'm sorry about Teresa."

"Yeah, me too. She was a great friend." I say back. We're quiet for a moment, listening to the waves on the beach and the laughs erupting from others around us.

"So, what now?" Newt says, turning to look at me. I look back at him.

"We live. The best we can." As we sit there, the two of us enjoying this moment together, I realize I'm finally free. I'm finally home.

I hope you enjoyed my first one shot for this book! Please keep reading and I'll try to update soon. <3