How Soon Is Now

"What do you believe?" I asked, staring down at the treetops to the lake. A few geese were slowly making their way across the water, triangular ripples blooming behind them as they went.

"You mean spiritually?"

I made a noise of confirmation. He wrapped his arms around my waist and I let my head drop back to his shoulder.

"That's a tough question to answer. It's not something I've ever given a lot of thought to. But now..."

"It's hard not to think about it now."

"Yes... For me, it's now a given that there is more to this world than science can explain. Or maybe it can be explained, we just lack the necessary tools or cognition to fully grasp it. It's a pretty scary idea if you think about it."

"You're telling me. You know, death used to be the pinnacle of fear for me. So final and awful. While I like the idea that my loved ones are in heaven watching down on me, the reality of leaving the real world behind, that whole process of dying - it's terrifying. You're here one minute and then the next you've left the mortal realm to go on this..." I searched for the right word. 'Unknown voyage', I found it terrifying, but it pales now."

"There's comfort that can be found in death. It's something we will all have in common with everyone alive today on earth, and with everyone who has ever lived. It's the one thing humanity can eventually count on."

I chewed on that thought for a moment before speaking.

"I can appreciate that. Maybe now more than ever. Those missing girls - it's been so long, and honestly, there's no question that they're dead. But the time from when they went missing to their eventual demise – that unknown chunk of time - that is what frightens me. So much potential there for horror. The idea there's unknown beasts, human and otherwise, that lurk out there without our knowledge. They could be everywhere and we just don't know. Probably right under our noses."

"Aren't you full of unknown depths." Rick pressed a kiss on the top of my shoulder.

"Well damn, don't sound so shocked."

"You said you worked yourself practically to the bone, so I have zero pre-conceived notions," he explained, laughing. "I just pictured you tearing apart the courtroom, terrifying your neighbors, and micromanaging every little aspect of your life."

"Ouch." I elbowed him in the side. He sounded like he was only half joking. Not like I could take offense, he was pretty well spot-on.

"Then tell me. How does Michonne Jones amuse herself?"

"Well... I like going out for dinner, trying new places and new foods. I love old movies, especially musicals. I can't say I've made a lot of time for my social life in the last few years, but most of my free time was spent with my nephews, my brother, and his wife. I love being outdoors. Daryl was part of a biker club so we used to go on tours with the club if we had a free weekend together. I played volleyball, I competed at the state level in volleyball back when I was an undergrad at GSU."

"In those itty-bitty outfits?"

"Yes, you perv. My Gram was horrified but somehow never said a negative thing about it. Morgan, on the other hand, he all but forbade me from playing. Not that I listened. I was good at the sport. I turned awkwardly to face Rick, "What about you? Tell me more about your life. How do you fill your free time? Tell me about your past relationships and all that."

Yes, I was fishing. I hoped subtly. Rick raised a brow at me. Okay, maybe not so subtly. I smiled sweetly at him.

"There's really not a lot to tell. Before you, it's been years since I've had anyone significant in my life. I play a bit of social basketball, keep multiple cafes afloat just with my coffee habit alone, I read a lot, a whole lot. I prefer to keep quiet. That can be an uphill battle in New York, especially when your closest friend is Karen, whose social life rivals most New York socialites. My publisher forces me to attend stuff too – benefits, openings for other authors; PR type events."