Lazy Daze

Sitting at the coffee bar the next morning before opening time had been blissful. We sat with banana pancakes, numerous empty coffee mugs and old letters I'd sent to Lesley over the years, occasionally bursting out with a "Oh I remember this!" or a "Why did I write that?"
The most recent letter I'd written had been 3 years prior. Engraved into the paper were congratulations on her engagement to Mikey and beef about my previous co-worker. We giggled and snorted looking back on all our old memories. Enlightening us with nostalgia as we flicked through envelope by envelope, in which Ley had carefully numbered all the way up to the 99th.
Checking my phone, I glanced at the time and stood up to turn over the open/closed sign on the door.
"Another day, another pancake" Lesley sighed, nudging her shoulder into my rib cage gently and shuffling away to go and put her apron on.
The day after I had moved in, Lesley had offered me a job at the coffee shop as Mikey was always away on business trips, so he wasn't there to help out often. Doing the knot around the back of my apron and beginning to take chairs off of tables was the relaxing start to my day. Brushing past a mirror, I gazed up at my face and started running my hands through my messy bed hair and straightening my circular glasses. I took a step back and rolled my long sleeves up to mid forearm.

"Oh, Trist?" came a yell from the kitchen
"Yeh?" I replied in the same tone, looking at my reflection up and down, tilting my head to one side as I fixed the hem of my shirt.
"Could you close the shop later? I have a hairdressers appointment."
"Oh yeh yeh, no worries. Going bald?" I questioned jokingly, flashing her a wink through the reflection of the long length mirror. To which she shook her head laughingly.

Later that night, after closing, cleaning up the café and pausing the dainty jazz that twinkled away on the record player all day, I felt a heavy bang on the door. In a lazy daze, I shuffled over to the front door of my apartment and opened it to find Lesley. Stood in her pale grey joggers, Uggs and a Beyoncé concert tour hoodie, she gasped for breath and rested one side of her body on the doorframe. As I looked closer into the dark hallway, I noticed a sad glaze in her eyes break when a single tear trailed down her bare cheek and onto the creme carpet inside the door.
"Oh Ley, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked hesitantly, softly wiping the tear from her flushed check with my thumb. Without another word she flung herself into my chest, hands held over her eyes as she fled with sobs. Soon after, we curled up onto the bed together. I handed her a blanket and allowed her to rest her head on my chest once again. Her shaking hands and worried eyes relaxed as she lay and listened to the sound of my heartbeat.
I pulled my fingers through her trimmed hair carefully and watched her take multiple deep breaths in attempt to calm herself down. She lay still and whispered through a wobbled tone, "Trist? I don't think I'm ready for a baby." She rolled over slightly onto her back and I watched her run her hands over her stomach carefully, in which I joined, placing my hand on top of hers and peering at her through worried eyes.
"What do you mean? You'll be a great mother Ley. You and Mikey together I'm sure will be great parents to this little bean" I smirked, making her giggle under her breath as she looked up at me. Her emerald eyes, bright with fear and hope.
"I'm scared Trist. I'm really scared" she replied, her eyes beginning to gloss over with tears again, switching her eyesight the opposite way instantly.
"I don't think it's gonna work out with Mikey you know. He's never here, and whenever we call he always seems occupied with other things. It just doesn't seem right." She added.

"I need you Tristan, not him"

-
-
-
-
Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this part. I'm having fun gradually building up the length of each chapter. I'm still not sure if this part went in the direction I wanted it to, but I'm excited for the next part so I can really get things going!
We hit 100 by the way! It's so mad that that many people have read this book. It honestly means the world so thank youuu!
See you all soon,
Happy Reading! Xx