Chapter 4

~Murphy's POV~

I watched Saoirse, then I looked to Connor. He had his arms crossed over his chest and she was standing up to get ready for bed. Saoirse smiled at Connor, who laid on the couch.

I lead Saoirse to mine and Connor's room, cleaning off his bed. She watched me, then she helped me clean off the bed. I watch her take off her boots again, then she blushed.

"You alright, Little Lass," I ask her, sitting on my bed.

"Aye," Saoirse said, sitting on Connor's bed.

"You don't seem to be alright," I say, arms crossed over my chest.

"Fucking shit," she sighed, "I'm scared to death. I know what you and Connor can do, but I'm scared you won't be able to protect me. I'm scared I've screwed up so badly that I ain't able to fix it.".

"You'll be safe. I promise ya," I tell her.

"Can you? Can you protect me, MacManus," she asked, sounding unsure of herself.

"Saoirse," I say softly, "I can't promise you, but I'll do my damn best to keep you alive. Connor won't say a thing because he's a bit proud, but me? I'd be trying to find ya to have this conversation.".

"Get some sleep, Murphy," she said numbly, "You'll need it.".

"You do too, Saoirse," I say.

"I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight," she said, laying on her back.

I stand up and walk over to Connor's bed, sitting at the foot of it. I gently squeeze Saoirse's left foot, causing her to kick me in the jaw. I blinked, not having meant to startle her.

That's when I noticed her left ankle looked to be purple and swelling. Saoirse shakes her head, but her eyes show that she was afraid.

"It'd be a quick pull to reset your ankle," I tell her.

"Y-you won't hurt it more," she asked nervously.

"Nah. I actually admire ya. Walking around on a hurt ankle," I say, trying to lighten the mood.

"You're funny, Murphy. I like that," Saoirse said, weakly smiling at me.

I watched Saoirse grab ahold of the headboard as she gave me her left foot and ankle. I watch her then I tell her, "Deep breath and close your eyes. I'll wrap it once it's fixed.".

Saoirse closed her eyes, locking her jaw and taking a deep breath. I pulled on her ankle, watching her grimace at the snapping sound it made.

"Son of a bitch," she breathed, her breathing a little faster than what it had been.

"You're alright," I tell her, grabbing an ace bandage that had rolled under Connor's bed.

She nodded gently, then I watched her fall asleep. I pat her left knee and sigh softly.

Do I like her?