The Restoration of Society

After the war ended, we began looking for other people who had a thirst for knowledge. We all split up, headed in different directions, planning to meet up in a month’s time.

Although we were hopeful for the beginning of our new society, it was extremely hard to find people. There were few survivors, and not too many wanted to join a society of people who, not only read books, but had them memorized. There was also the problem of being recognozed. Even though it was assumed that I had been killed, whenever I introduced myself as Jeremy Smith, they would catch me in my lie.

“You’re Guy Montag!” They would say. “You were wanted for murder of those fireman!” And that would be the end of it. I'd have to flee; run as far away as possible before approaching anyone else.

I did, however find a few followers. Samuel, Fred, and Joe were all interested in a new life. They were all teenagers who were tired of living in the aftermath of war. Joe and Fred didn’t care where they were going, they just wanted to live somewhere that was not dictated by a corrupt government. Samuel, however was different.

“I was tired of being told answers and never learning how things work.” Samuel had told me. “Why does seven plus six equal thirteen? Why is the sky blue, and the grass green? I wanted to learn these things. That’s when I started reading.” Samuel had started reading science and math books for understanding, but he slowly developed a love for reading. He had read more books, than I had imagined possible, and had even memorized “To Kill A Mockingbird”. He was ready for a society with books and understanding.

When it was time to meet up again, we started heading back. On the way there we passed an old building that had suffered some damage from the war. It had been abandoned, and that peaked our curiosity.

“Should we check it out?” I asked. They were a bit hesitant, but ready for a little excitement.

When we walked in, we were shocked. There were many gadgets, but none like the wall televisions, and things that we were used to. It was a place where they were creating new technology, and it had all been left there. We were about to leave, when something caught my eye.

It was a little bigger that a book, but a lot heavier. It had an apple on top, and it said that it was a “laptop”. We started playing with it, and learned that you could press the buttons with the letters on it, and it would record it in the machine.

“We could use this to start recording books again!” the boys exclaimed.

“Your, right.” I said. “Samuel, I don’t think that anyone else knows ‘To Kill A Mockingbird.’ We need to record it now before you forget it.” Then I set up the program ready to put it in and he started to recite it.

“Chapter one.” He began nervously.

“Don’t worry I said. In our new society you will not be arrested for your knowledge, but you will be proclaimed.” He smiled and began again.

“When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow…”

.............................................................

Works Cited

Bradbury, Ray. Fahrenheit 451. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1967. Print

Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1960. Print.