Chapter 3

One week later

It has been seven days and I am at the point of breaking. Every day I have an apple, only one. But since I had six, today I've had nothing. I refuse to steal again, it just felt wrong. Sure, it would be easier; but I withhold.

The FBI have been after me ever since, I'm not entirely sure why. It was only apples, unless it's because I ran away. Agent Rhodes is obviously on my case because every chance he gets, he is trying to handcuff me to a rail; he is not going to stop until he puts me behind bars. I have been able to escape, turns out I'm good at getting away. Besides, if he ever does put shackles on me, I can just pick the lock.

It is raining and I am freezing. I have my back leaning against the foot of a bench while I hug my knees close to my chest. I am hungry, cold and dying. Maybe I should just let the police take me, it would have been easier; for both of us. I close my eyes hoping to subside the pain.

"Freeze FBI," I hear faintly in the distance. I let out the best thing I have to a laugh, I'm already frozen. I turn my stiff neck to see a drenched officer running towards me with a gun. Great, just what I need. I groan in frustration; I don't think the gun will be necessary. I stretch my shaking arms into a straight line, fists clenched. The agent, now a foot away from me; lowers his gun.

"Just take me," I say in a vibrating voice. I look at the officer only to notice that its Rhodes. For the first time, I look him dead in the eye and not be in pure terror. Ever since I met the officer, he never showed any emotion. Now he looks confused, his eyebrows furrowed and lines prominent on his face.

"Why?" Rhodes says breathlessly. That was one question I never expected, I was sure that he would just handcuff me right then and there. I search for any kind of sentiment but there is only a look of concern etched into his face. Why would he care, he's already trying to ruin my life; now he has his chance. Why is he hesitating? I've gotten away too many times and I know that his job is at stake.

"I have nothing to live for," I say without even thinking. This confuses the officer even more; he attempts to wipe some water off his face. I lower my arms to save my strength.

"I have no food, money or shelter; I'll die anyway," I say letting the last part be a whisper.

"So just do us both a favour and take me," I say through blue lips. I stretch out my arms, clenching them getting ready for what was about to come next; but I leave my fists open showing that I have no weapons. I feel something on my hand, it is not metal; it's wet paper. Now it's my turn to be confused. I look up at Rhodes with water dripping off my face. The officer has his normal stern look back.

"Ok, listen kid," he says in a harsh voice, he puts his hand on my shoulder making me flinch.

"You are going to take this and buy yourself some food and whatever else you need, I don't care how but you need to find a source of money; do you understand," Rhodes says with narrow eyes. I nod my head in a shaky up and down motion.

"Good," he huffs and starts to walk off. I look down at my hand and notice a crumpled fifty-dollar bill plastered to my palm.

"Wait!" I cry. Rhodes turns around slowly to face me.

"Why?" I ask, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Because believe it or not, I was in a similar situation when I was your age," he says with a hint of sadness and walks off, leaving me confused and grateful.