Chapter Eight

{A/N:} I realized I didn't answer a question from the tag. So here it is:
5. Disney character you relate to the most?
Max Goof from A Goofy Movie

~•~•~

With the news fresh on his mind, Nino thanked Marinette for the toy, loaded Devan into his car seat, then scrambled home where he found that Alya had taken off. Deciding to tell her in person, Nino patiently waited what seemed like hours until his wife walked through the front door, fuming.

"Alya! You're not going to believe what—"

She raised a single finger then shook her head. Moving aside, Eileen walked in behind her, her head hung low.

"Before you start, Eileen has some explaining."

Nino raised a brow and glanced at the other. When she didn't speak up, Alya cleared her throat indicating Eileen should start.

"Nino, there's no easy way to say this—"

"Get to the point." Alya said through gritted teeth.

Eileen gulped and inhaled sharply. "Adrien is alive..." her voice trailed off. "And I'm the one who faked his death."

Nino's eyes went wide as he processed her words. How could that be? Eileen and Adrien were friends, why would she want him dead?

Knowing what he was thinking, Eileen continued. "I knew all along. Just like last time, I've been talking with him... for years now. Lucas has been too, but only because he's been trying to get Adrien home."

"And why hasn't that worked out?" Alya spat out, still not looking at her.

"Because every time he tries, I tell Adrien that Marinette isn't ready to see him yet."

~•~•~•~

Marinette wiped off her hands onto the kitchen towel hanging from her waist and scurried to the door. She wasn't expecting any company that night so she was at a complete loss of who it might be.

The door opened and there stood a blonde man, a head taller than Marinette. Cole. She smiled at him and welcomed him inside.

"What a surprise!" She beamed as he took a seat on the couch.

Cole shrugged in response. "What can I say? You've been on my mind a lot recently."

A soft blush crawled onto Marinette's cheeks. "Really now? Why's that?"

"I think," he scooted closer, placing a hand on top of hers. "I think because I'm starting to fall for you..."

Marinette's turned a bright pink as Cole's voice trailed off. He started to lean closer, a smirk plastered on his lips.

She began to think of the exact moment she knew she liked Cole, but came up empty. There wasn't a specific time when it clicked, that she could see herself... being with Cole. Her heart slightly stung as she gazed at him. No other guy had been this close to Marinette other than Adrien. Their first "I love you" came to mind, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

It was the first Valentine's day they spent together after officially dating for a few months. They were walking hand-in-hand beside the love lock bridge when he turned to her. No one had been able to add their locks to the bridge in a few years as it had became a concern for the preservation of Paris' architectural heritage ((which is a real thing btw)) yet Adrien secretly held one in his coat pocket.

He turned to her, a bright smile on his face. "Have you ever done something potentially illegal for love?"

Marinette raised a brow at his question and giggled, making his smile grow even larger. "No and I don't think you have either. We're both goody-too-shoes."