Chapter 3~ Surprise!

It had been about 3 and a half months since Danny and I’s first date and things had gone great so far! When he was busy with baseball in the fall I didn’t really mind because I got to go to games and see him whenever I wanted when I had time off of college! He was so sweet and easy going, a little bit egocentric, but I could live with that. We’d spent every waking moment together since the season ended but, Spring Training was coming up and after that the season would really take off, so I wasn’t sure how much I’d actually get to see him…I didn’t want to think about that right now, though.

I was driving down the road home from college again. I decided to spend this first week of my spring break with my friends, Andi and Erin, before I went back. I sang along to “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction on my way home. They were a newer band that had recently become wildly popular internationally and even I had grown to love them! I’d only ever heard their songs and interviews aired on the radio, but just from that I was hooked! I found it kind of odd that I hadn’t looked them up, actually, because I usually look up my recent music obsessions on my ipod. I wonder if any of them are cute… I thought idly. Then it occurred to me that maybe I hadn’t thought of looking them up because I had Danny distracting me with hishotness for the past 3 months; I laughed at myself quietly for thinking that; it was probably true, though. But, I couldn’t deny that, although I hadn’t seen their faces, I loved their songs and their interviews were so funny! Harry was my personal favorite. He was one of those hilarious, huge flirt types and all his sexual comments cracked me up. I would kill to see them in concert…but, although I knew they’d be in town next week, the concert was insanely expensive and the drive is so far away I wouldn’t have enough money for the tickets AND gas, not to mention merchandise…I sighed; they wouldn’t come back to Minnesota in forever. They rarely came here as is, and having to miss the one time they do come here upset me. Oh well, though, I guess…I did get to go to a Hot Chelle Rae concert! I perked up a bit at the memory. My phone rang suddenly and I glanced down, seeing it was from Danny. Smiling to myself, I picked it up and answered it.

“Hello?” I said knowingly.

“Hey, how’s my beautiful lady?” I grinned at the playful tone to Danny’s voice.

“She’s awesome now that she’s talking to her favorite man,” I replied, equally playful.

“Why? Who are you talking to? Is he in the car with you?”

“Oh shut up Danny,” I laughed.

“I do have a reason for calling, though! I have something I want to give you that I think you’ll love, meet me for dinner tonight?” he asked hopefully.

“Uh, sure, where? What do you have to give me?”

“It’s a surprise! Meet me at Mario’s tonight at 4,” he said. Mario’s had become my favorite restaurant lately; it was a high scaled Italian diner that had the most delicious food, and Danny, finding out how much I liked it, took me there whenever possible.

“Ok, I’ll see you there,”

“Bye, my love!” Danny said as he hung up. I smiled a bit when he said “love,” but the smile felt a bit empty on my lips. Why? I’ve said I love him already…I usually say that fairly quickly in relationships, but with Daniel the words felt sour on my tongue because, I wasn’t sure if I meant them…No, I thought to myself, you love Danny! He’s great! He’s funny, he’s sweet, he’s thoughtful, I listed all of his positive attributes off in my head, convincing myself that I was just being oddly hormonal about the word ‘love’ and that nothing was wrong.

I pulled into the driveway of Jessica’s house that she and Erin had rented for college. They apparently had one other roommate but I’d never met her. They saw me from the window and ran out to meet me.