(4)

"This isn't what we do Eli. Grades like this aren't allowed in this house" her dad yelled  causing her to whimper and look down in fear she would get yelled at more. "I'm sorry daddy I'll do better" she cried quietly trying not to have anyone see the tears falling from her red puffy eyes. "Yes you will do better now go to your room and don't come out till I get you" he spat and shoved her towards her room.

She ran up the stairs crying and slammed the door before sitting down at her desk and starting the next set of math problems to do. Hours of homework later the now 9 year old girl finally gave up and just broke down. "I just want jack" she whimpered out wanting to leave the house and go to her best friend.

The phone rang after awhile, making the girl almost jump out of her skin in fear of the loud noise. "H-hello?" She stuttered.

"Hey El wanna come play video games with me Daniel Zach Corbyn and Jonah?" He laughed at something one of his friend said in the back.

"I-I can't c-come sorry J" she stuttered as Jack automatically got worried. "Eli what's going on? You know you can tell me anything right? We've been best friends since I was 9" he excused himself from the room and walked out leaving the rest of the boys confused.

"Jack I'm f-fine I just didn't do well on our science test..." she said and sighed. "I'm sorry why don't you come over tho the guys want you here you know, Christina's here" Jack said tempting his best friend.

"Fine Fine I'll sneak out" she giggled as jack said a quiet "yes" before yelling to the boys.

"GUYS ELI'S IS COMING!" He shouted making her laugh again when she heard a mix of 'yays'. "I'll be there in like 5 minutes" she hung up the phone and opened her room door slowly.

"D-dad I'm going to jacks" she stuttered and tried to run for the door. "I told you to do your homework" he said angrily and slapped her before realizing what he had done. But it was too late his little girl was in tears as she ran down the street to jacks house. It wasn't unheard of for kids to be running around in a small town like they lived in so nobody really expected anything. When she got to the boys house he was already standing on the porch waiting for his younger best friend to arrive.

"Hey Elliott " he said using her full name and
not noticing the tears for a minute. She tried to push past him but being 11 he was a lot stronger than the chubby little blonde girl. "Woah what's going on?" "Jack I just wanna forget about it ok?"

"Ya sure just know I'm here for you" he said and hugged her letting her cry into his shoulder. Jack did his best to comfort her and made sure she was ok. "Wanna go play the rest are downstairs?" She just nodded and they made their way to the basement.

"E!!!!" Christina yelled and ran to her, "Hey Christina" she fake smiled and said hi to the rest before going to sit next to Jonah. He was the oldest and tallest of all of them, always very protective of the youngest girl.

"Hey princess," he paused and gave her a look before continuing, his tone changing as well. "Hey what's the red mark on your face from?" He sad while inspected it and ran his thumb over the now forming bruise catching the attention of the others in the room. "N-nothing jo I'm ok" she lied and took the controller from his lap. "Holy crap he hit you didn't he" jack said going over and bring the now crying girl into his arms as she nodded slowly trying to answer the question. "That bastard" Jonah said getting more angry than he should. Only him and jack knew about what happened at home for their best friend and she really didn't want anyone else to know. "Please jo don't try anything I'm fine"

Those last two words are said a lot in her life and it hurt Jonah every time, knowing he really couldn't do anything. One day that was gonna change and he had that set in stone.

-a/n-
Oh how my writing makes me cringe
3-5-18
#749
-Syd