The Train

I should have waited for the second train, she thought to herself while being scrunched into a wall by the larger gentleman beside her. At least there is a window...

The benches were packed like sardines this evening. People huddled in the walkway, hanging onto the ceiling bars for balance. The monstrous pills of metal sped through the tunnels, getting ready to make its last stop in the city. Faint orange lights flashed by the otherwise black windows systematically. Tracks can be heard clanking rhythmically beneath the hum dozens of conversations in the cart.

The cart was very energetic this evening. College students filled the train to the brim, excited to return home to see their families. There wasn't much space to breathe between the baggage and antsy students from the college dorms. There was static laughter and small talk being made. Friends were comparing answers on their final exams. It was cluttered, busy, and unmovable she thought to herself.

The guy on the bench next to her began laughing hysterically at his friend who was explaining that he had almost missed the train because of a black cat. Amid his laughter at the Ludacris superstition, the man threw his elbow back, accidentally jabbing the girl sitting beside the window. He quickly uttered an awkward apology as his friend exclaimed that cats were bad luck.

Almost as if on que, the train let out a loud whistle, informing its passengers that it's at its last stop.

The announcement system chimes, causing the passengers on board tone down enough to listen. The same cheery sounding woman that they had all been listening to for the duration of the trip says, "Entering neon station, last stop for Hyson city before the train leaves the subway!". At the sound of the announcement, people begin gathering their belongings, but the girl by the window is unmoved.

Moments later, the train drags its passengers forward as the breaks screech through the tunnel. The neon station lights illuminate the train windows as the entryway into the city is revealed. The train slows to a halt, jolting everyone back and forth one last time before the hushed to a murmur. The sky is revealed for the first time at the boarder of the city. Two flights of stairs lead up towards the sleek black towers and neon lights. At the base of the stairs, there's a fountain outside with flashing lights and multiple spouts of water that pulse with the beat of muffled music that seep through the subway walls.

Everyone waits silently in anticipation for the doors to open. As the doors slide open, bright alternative music instantly takes over the train and everyone begins shoving their way to freedom. They excitedly wander off in different directions, entering the crowded city. It takes several minutes to unload all the passengers; their presence is replaced by the icy winter air.

The girl takes a deep breath and pushes herself away from the window, rolling her neck and stretching her arms and legs in relief. The wooden benches aren't the most comfortable, but the train is the most affordable way to get home. The doors beeped in warning as the train prepared to take off once more.

Only four people boarded the train before the doors slid shut. The woman returned to the speaker system, "Welcome aboard, we hope that you stay warm and enjoy your ride! Our Last stop is Lucia- The Town that Never Changes".

The girl pulled her beanie over her long ash colored hair and looked around the cart. Almost everyone had gotten off, leaving a soothing silence in the air as the muffled music drifts off.

The train enters darkness once more. She stares out the window, waiting to resurface from the tunnels. She stuck her hands into her jacket pockets, fidgeting with a pen. She sighed and looked around to make sure she had all her luggage still. Her carry-on suit case was still present. She opened the case and grabbed a journal, might as well since she still had time.

Her last entry was written a week before finals,

I was invited to go with some friends on a ski trip in the mountains, wouldn't that be fun? Unfortunately, I'm afraid the weather where Grandma lives isn't getting any better. I hope she's doing okay on her own. I know that she can take care of herself, but she was acting odd the last time I saw her. I decided that I'd spend my vacation at home with Grandma. Apparently, we have a new neighbor from the city, August. I'm surprised she let him in the house, she usually can't stand men being around. I just can't figure her out. Oh well...

Before her pen reached the page, the window suddenly revealed a forest of pines covered in thick piles of snow. White flakes danced around, making their way down to Earth in the twilight. The last glimpses of sun and warmth were quickly being consumed by the night. She gazed out the window, realizing that she would only be entering deeper and less forgiving temperatures very quickly.

So, I figured out why Grandma is so Gung-Ho about this, 'August'. Turns out, he's my age, and she made it verrrryy very clear that I am IN FACT, Single AND a virgin. This is going to be SO embarrassing. Why does my grandma think I need her to set me up?

She scribbled in the page, slamming her notebook shut in frustration for a moment before re-opening it.

On the bright side, maybe he'll be wiling to get a job as a caretaker...? I found out that he moved out here from the city. He has got be good for something...

Jeez... I'm turning into Grandma...

She stared out the window once more, the escaping light was about to vanish behind the forest of evergreens. The white snow was dimming as well, almost turning into a cool greyish blue color. She began sketching trees across her paper. They were frozen and covered in snow, just like the ones out the window. Once the sun finally vanished the train seemed especially dim and her eyes heavy. She leaned against the window, letting her eyes rest.

It seemed like only moments had passed when she had heard,

"Now stopping in Lucia, The Town Stuck in Time," she jolted awake, realizing that she had fallen asleep, "I hope you have all had a pleasant ride, stay warm!"

The woman turned off the announcements for the last time, and the train skidded to a stop.

Outside on the platform, there was a small old woman wrapped in blankets from head to toe. Her dark brown eyes poked out from the fabric, brightening up at the sight of the train. An even older gentleman stood beside her, a gentle smile on his face as they shared a laugh.

"That crazy old lady is waiting outside in this cold for me?!" She exclaimed aloud, rushing to grab her luggage before dashing off the train. As the train doors opened and they first locked eyes, her grandma held open her arms with a big smile on her face.

"Grandma Jasmine! I missed you!" She exclaimed, rushing into her grandma's embrace.

The old woman wept and wouldn't let go, "I was beginning to think that you weren't coming....Oh! Olivia, honey I'm so glad you are home!" she laughed and cried at the same time,

"Well if you answered your phone like I showed you, grandma...." She teased, knowing that her grandmother hated technology with a passion. It just didn't make sense to her. 

The girl sighed and smiled gently at her grandmother, she glanced at the elder gentleman beside her, "Hello, I'm Olivia...Who might you be?" She said with a smile, grateful that someone had kept Grandma Jasmine company. The old man looked between them endearingly and let out a soft chuckle, "Someone who knows that you are both loved very much," he says with a wink.

Before they moved another step, a man in a long coat exits the train as well, handing Olivia her Journal. He has a much more solemn expression then the old man, "Try to keep better track of your things, not everyone will return them," he said plainly. The smell of alcohol on his clothes was apparent, and the man didn't look like he's had a clean shave or even washed his hair in a month.

He looked at the old man and said, "Are you trying to have an early death, old man? It's time to get moving or we'll miss our ride."

The old man smiled at the little old lady and tipped his hat, "Please pardon his rude behavior. He'll figure out the truth one day, I promise! I know I did," He let out a soft chuckle as if he had said something incredibly funny as he turned from them and left.

Olivia and her Grandmother looked at each other, what a funny pair, they thought.