The day after

Hermione P.O.V.

As I wake up to the sound of my alarm and I realize I'm still wearing what I had on yesterday. Ugh. I slump out of bed and get ready. I take a quick shower and plan my day. Grab supplies for class, talk to newer students if they are having issues, grab extra quills just in case, check up with Ginny, tidy up a little bit, and have some fun I suppose. I better say hi to Harry and Ron as well. Oh Merlin, Ron. How am I going to face him? Should I act normal? Why am I even nervous, I've known him for years.  Plus won't he be happier now? Ugh. I just hope Ginny doesn't hex him  before the day is over. Rather, that I don't.  

 The halls are filled with first years stumbling around wide eyed. Many students wave to their friends and express their happiness to be back. It is hard to believe less than a year ago Hogwarts was filled with deatheaters and sadness. I'm glad everyone is smiling again. I go into the great hall I spot Ginny and Harry eating and join them.

"Enjoy your first night back?" Ginny asks warmly.

"Yes, it was nice to have a room to myself. It was odd sharing a common room with only one other person though," I reply.

Harry turns to me and says "Oh right, you need to share with Malfoy. Has he given you any trouble? I know you can handle yourself but if you need me to I can-"

"It's fine Harry, he hasn't done anything so far" I ensure him, half grinning at the memory of Draco's nose bleeding.  

My grin fades and my heart sinks as I spot Ron and Lavender approaching us. I put on a fake smile but Ginny sure as hell doesn't.  As they sit down across from us, Ginny clenches her fists.

"HOW DARE YOU!" she yells, ears burning red.

"Ginny please" Harry says tying to calm her.

"DON'T YOU GINNY PLEASE ME THIS SLUG HAS NO RIGHT TO SIT HERE, ESPECIALLY NOT WITH THAT SLEAZE ON HIS ARM! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RELATED TO SOMEONE SO SICKENING! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! MAY ALL THE SPIDERS IN HOGWARTS FIND THEIR WAY INTO YOUR TROUSERS" Ginny spits out furiously, slamming her fist on the table.

I tug on the sleeve of her robe and she looks down at me, face softening. Ginny finally sits down with more than half the students looking our way.

"You know bloody well she is right. You may be my best friend but you are a prick and need to go now" Harry says almost scowling at Ron.

After the two move Ginny apologizes to me.

"It's alright" I say "He needed to hear it and better that it comes from you two than me. Merlin knows he would be spitting out slugs at the least."

"He won't just hear it from us" Ginny says starting to smile a little as the mail arrives. She didn't . I notice Rons owl carrying a red envelope. Merlin help the first years. My eyes follow it to where he is sitting and my stomach tightens in anticipation. His face flushes and Lavenders eyes widen in terror. I hold my breath and the sides of my mouth slide into a real smile. Ginny snickers. Harry has a confused look on his face so I point to the envelope.

"Sweet baby hippogriffs"  he says under his breath. 

Ron carefully reaches for the Howler as if it were a piece of broken glass. Lavender covers her ears. The envelope begins to smoulder as he stares blankly at it in his hands, trying to figure out what to do. All at once  it explodes in a great flash and Molly Weasleys voice bounces off the walls of the great hall. My head pounds with each syllable and Ron covers his head. Ginny begins laughing beside me and Harry looks on in awe. Gasps can be faintly heard through the loud voice emerging from the envelope, younger students look around unsure if they should laugh or run. Just as it started the yelling stops with a great explosion of light. Cackles are heard through the hall as well as various swears. Ron and Lavender are now the center of attention and look very much like tomatoes. 

Thank you Ginny Weasley.  

Draco P.O.V.

 I approach the great hall and hear echoes of yelling. There is a loud voice I recognize from last year as the Weasley mother.  Pausing briefly to adjust my robe, I feel someone grab at me like a hug from behind. The smell of the Slytherin dorms rushes into my nose. Pansey probably.

"I've missed you my snake" she whispers into my ear. I can feel her hot breath on my neck and ear.

"Shall we eat?" I ask.

She slides next to me and we enter the great hall together.

The Weasley boy and some girl are burning red at the Griffindor table. I suppose the Weasley mother got word of something he had done and sent a howler. Wait a moment, why isn't he with Granger?

"Looks like the ginger finally left the mudblood" Pansey says as we sit down at the slytherin table.

"Seems like he had Brown before he split with the other one. That's what the howler this morning hinted at anyway" Goyle adds. Everything falls into place in my head as I recall the train, the sobbing, and the tear tracks.

"Don't you need to share a common room with that thing? My poor prince. Want me to hex her?" Pansey says.

"It's fine, I can handle things myself." I reply as I grab a green apple.

"I'm here whenever and for whatever you need" she says teasingly. "Ya, every boy in Slytherin knows that" Goyle jokes with a smirk.

"I will hex you again" she replies angrily.

"Fine but we should head to charms" he suggests, raising from his seat.  I nod and we leave the great hall.