The Overcoming

A/N: This was my english project. It has been copyrighted. If you wish to use something from it please leave me a comment or message and I will get back to you. There was also a trailer made for this. If you wish to see it please also tell me to post it and I will. Also, I wrote this quickly and it may have misspelled words.

Robert scribbled with his grip pen on the Wacom Cintiq 24HD-drawing tablet. He doodled some lines on the tablet to finish up his latest project. As a graphic designer he had to work quickly and be open to every idea that comes to mind. Lately, Robert has worked with his old buddy, Alex, on their new assignment. Alex has started the designs and Robert then took over. As he looked at the setting Alex has drawn of a crowd in a party having the time of their life he noticed at the lower left corner two people bickering and taking away the child in the middle. “Robert! Stay out of this!” He heard his mother shout to him. He followed her order and walked away slowly. His mothers’ screams pierced his ears. Looking back he saw her on the floor with blood coming out from her mouth and his father standing over her with a clenched fist.” His memory rolled in. As a young child his parents would fight a lot and he always thought it was a normal thing to do to someone. When he was young, Alex and him where the best of friends but Alex’s parents separated him and Robert never knew why. Robert got mad at Alex for not telling him anything and now that he works with him Alex plays like if nothing ever happened and it annoys Robert. “Rob. Rob?” a voice says. “Huh, what? Oh Alex, hey what’s up?” Robert snaps back into reality stuttering. “Well, the boss has given us something to do.” He pulls out the sticky note, “Report to Alaska and record the environment for a new project.” Alex read out loud. “Great, a new design project and I have to travel with Alex to Alaska, joy.” Robert thought. 

Robert arrived to his luxurious house and began to pack for his four-hour flight. As he stuffed clothes and his drawing supplies into his suitcase he began to remember more of his childhood and Alex. The thought of Alex made him grow more hate towards him. 

Early morning, Robert calls a cab to take him to L.A.X. Waiting impatiently for Alex, Robert pulls out his phone and scrolls through his contacts. He lands on Chloe and has his finger over her contact icon but hesitates. Alex pulls up in his Toyota FT-HS and comes out in fancy attire. Robert looks like a fool compared to Alex now. Robert, irritated by Alex showing off, wanted to choke him there. “Hey Rob, do you mind holding my book-bag for a minute?” Alex throws the bag to Robert without letting him answer. Alex pulls out his suitcase from the passenger seat, gives his keys to the valet at the airport and walks to Robert, pats his back and walks in front leaving Robert to take his book-bag. “That selfish bastard” Robert thought as Alex left him with his junk. He followed. 

As they boarded the plane Alex took pictures with his Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 camera of the sun peaking out of the horizon. Once inside the plane Alex took the window seat in the first class seat and Robert took the isle seat. “Ladies and Gentleman this is your captain speaking, we would like to welcome you onboard this American Airline flight to Alaska. Our flight duration is about four hours and 45 minutes and we are expecting a smooth flight today. Once again we thank you for choosing to fly with us today and hope you enjoyed your flight.”  Robert laid back into his seat and drowned all his thoughts in Mozart’s Requiem. Sitting in the sandbox, young Alex tried to construct a sand castle but just couldn’t make it. Along comes Robert and tries to help him out. At first Alex pushes him away but soon accepts him in to help build the castle. Little Robert filled with joy that Alex let him play with him but soon sees that Alex isn’t letting him play truthfully. Robert begins to get angry and destroys the horribly built sand castle and begins to bite and hit Alex. “Robert no! Robert!” “Robert! Robert wake up!” Alex shook him. Robert snapped out of his flashback, back into the present and was shocked on how vivid it all was. “I’m up, I’m up.” He replied groggily. He gathered his belongings and walked out of the flying death can. As he stepped out and began his descent to the ground he saw the vibrant color that Alaska greeted him with. Alex, already on the ground, was taking pictures of the luscious green mountains that surrounded them. “You never see that in Los Angeles.” Alex said as Robert pulled up behind him.