Introduction to TBI's

TBI is a short abbreviation for a traumatic brain injury. A traumatic brain injury is caused by an external force that injures the brain. Brain injuries, no matter what severity, are no fun, but we can easily deem that the more severe the injury, the less fun it is and the more of a struggle it becomes.
Most people know that a concussion is a usually minor injury that is caused by an impactful and external blow that injures the brain. Most people don't often tell a person who is currently concussed to, "get over it" and therefore, we should never say this to a person with a TBI.
TBI's not only put the person's life at stake when they are at their worst, but they also cause long lasting affects that will forever plague that person and their day to day life. A concussion is temporary, and therefore it often seems easier to sympathize and understand the limitations better because they only stay around for a short amount of time. A TBI causes long term affects, some of which might not even be apparent right after the initial injury. This is another reason that it can be hard to make this connection.
So to conclude this introduction, TBI's are not fun and cause a lot of damage. They harshly effect the person and their day to day life. TBI's are not a joke and they are those who survive them often come across as completely normal, happy people. This makes it very hard to spot the differences and often times when we do, we judge them and call them rather mean things or act rudely to them. A person can not control their brain injuries and we should never blame them for their hardships.