Chapter 6

Chapter 6
The Welcome Dinner

It was the evening after they arrived at the Manor, that a welcoming dinner was held in one of the huge dining rooms.

But it was not just any welcome dinner, it was the one where the transfer of the lordship was to be officially announced. Many important people were invited and Alia had a good idea of whom to expect in the aristocratic gathering.

 Many important people were invited and Alia had a good idea of whom to expect in the aristocratic gathering

"How do I look?" Alia asked, walking out of the dressing room.

Alec simply looked at her for a couple of minutes, not replying. "As good as one can look." He said finally, his words genuine.

"How long before everyone gets here?"

"Not very long. We are supposed to be a little late anyways." Alec replied, leaning back into the pillows, turning back to his mobile.

"And why on the earth is that?" Alia asked.

"The party is being thrown in our honour."

"Which does the least to explain your point." She said, realising an eyebrow.

"You have so much to learn." Alec said, having his head before standing up and going to get changed himself.

"That was not rude at all." Alia said, to no one in particular before taking a seat and closing her eyes. "Hmm. It is a comfortable couch." She commented.

A few minutes later, Alec reentered, running his fingers through his hair.

"Alec..." Alia started, but trailed off as she watched Alec walk towards the mirror without so much as glancing at her. Her mouth opened and nose slightly scrunched up she watched as he stood in front of the mirror, running his fingers through his hair, admiring his jawline without even acknowledging her presence. She picked up the neared cushion and through it at him, aiming for his head, smiling brightly when it hit the target.

Now that got his attention.

"What is wrong with you?" Alec asked, looking at her with disbelief.

"Shut up. I'm not the one looking to be thrown out of the room on my first day here." She replied, smiling sweetly.

"You've got to be kidding me. You do know that time and effort went into this hair?"

"Yeahhh, about that." She said. "I really don't see a difference. It looks the same to me."

"What is it that you threw the goddamn cushion at my head for anyway?"

"Mm. Honestly, I don't remember." She shrugged as she turned around, slipped on her heels and stood up. "Shall we go?" She asked brightly.

"Uh-no." Alec replied.

"We're exactly 18 minutes late." She said, looking at the watch. "You took more time than me to get ready and you didn't even have any makeup to put on."

"Yeah. That's because I invest time in my hair. You should do that too. You look like you haven't combed since the Before Christ Era." He said before turning back to the mirror. "And if you ruin my hair again, then so help me God...."

**************************
They were exactly 57 minutes late by the time they reached downstairs.

"What took you so long mate?" Alec's friend Blake asked.

"Alia changed her mind about her dress ten minutes before the party. And you know how women are, take forever to get ready." He said, making  Alia turn to look at him in disbelief.

"Totally get that." Blake said, as he tucked his phone into his pocket, walking into the dining room.

"Are you for real?" Alia hissed at her husband.

"I wasn't wrong. We would've been here earlier if you had gotten ready earlier and then not ruined my hair later." He told her with a mock serious look on his face. "Of course I will refrain from mentioning this in front of everyone. It happens to the best of us. You were just nervous weren't you, my love?" He asked in a mock voice with a smirk on his face, winking at her.

Smiling despite herself and unable to hold onto her stern expression, Alia shot him a look. "You're dead."

"Bring it on champ." He said.

"You did not just call me that." She said, stopping dead.

"You did not just stop after already causing us to be an hour late." He said in the same serious tone, laughing under his breath after receiving a sharp whack on his head.

Hey guys. I know. It's a very late update. But I'll be updating more now. It's a short chapter, yes. But the next is longer.
Do vote, comment, follow and add to your reading lists.
Thanks!