Chapter 3

It’s been three weeks since school started and everything had begun to feel normal. Going to classes and being in school has stripped away the feeling of summer, making us teenagers tired and sad of the white walls and tiled floors. During one of my free periods I managed to find Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and had been reading it when I found time. In reality, I couldn’t put it down. But I had so many questions about the book, and the only person to ask was….Mr. Johnson. It’s not like I’m a shy person, I can talk to anyone without a problem, but there was something about him that made me stay the most stupid shit. Like, okay maybe I normally say stupid shit but normally I don’t care. Something about him made me self-conscious and I didn’t like it.

I walked through the halls with ear buds in, mindlessly listening to nineties soft grudge as I approached my locker. I pulled out my math book when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Aaron smiling at me. I smiled back and pulled out my ear buds.

“Hey Aaron, what’s up?” I questioned. I’d seen him around since the first day of school but I never got to talk to him.

He smiled, “I just saw you and wondered what you were listening to.” I chuckled and got my phone out of my pocket.

                “Oasis today.” He made a disgruntled face.

                “Would you judge me if I’ve never heard of them?”

I just smiled at him, “You probably have and just don’t know their name. You know that song ‘Wonderwall?’ you know. “

He shook his head at me. I rolled my eyes

                “You totally know it. Cause maybe, you’re gonna be the one that saves me. And after allllll cause you’re my wonderwalllll.”  I sang it to him. He laughed at my singing and dance moves and nodded.

                “Yes that sounds familiar.” I jokingly punch him in the arm.

                “That was for laughing at my singing, jerk.”

He laughed as the bell rang. We said our goodbyes and I made my way to math. Dr. Davis had been on my ass lately about my math, saying I needed to try harder. There wasn’t a delicate way to break it to her that the thought of math made me want to hurtle myself out the window. I usually just nodded and tried to smile. I walked into class to find Dr. Davis was nowhere in sight. There was a sub at the very front of the room. I let out a deep breath and headed to my seat. The sub had something about how there was no work for us because Dr. Davis had gotten sick this morning and went home soon after, so we were free to work on any other classes. I pulled out my laptop and began working on college applications. Like your stereotypical high school senior, I was looking for a college anywhere but home. I couldn’t stay in this town, with these people. We just didn’t fit together. I was meant for the city. The smell of the street vendors, the crowded city streets, the builds that towered over me and the busy energy that wrapped itself around the people that lived there. What actually wanted to do when I got older was still in question. I’ve always wanted to teach, but what if I find something else that I’m good at that I want to pursue? Like baking? Or sewing? I sighed when the bell rang and picked up my stuff to move to the library.

Once at the library, I decided I was done with college for today and pulled out Virginia Woolf. I drove back into the lives of Martha, George, Nick, and Honey. Their mind games pulled each other apart on the page and had me completely immersed. At the end of the book, the only think I could think was “What the actually fuck?” I put the book down and pulled out my laptop. I opened up google and researched the crap out of the ending. My GPA is pretty good and I have a pretty good understanding of most things, but I was so confused. When I couldn’t determine what it meant, I realized the only person to ask would be Mr. Johnson. I sighed and gave myself a mini-pep talk. When the bell rang I headed towards his room.