Chapter 1: The News

Harper-

Emilia and I burst through our home door, trying to beat one another to meet up with our parents. Well, more likely mother and stepfather... but nonetheless they are our guardians.

Our mother looks at our sisterly fight smiling before greeting us at the door.

"I see your home from school girls"

"I'm here too," Charlotte says quietly behind us making her way through the squabble.

"Good afternoon Charlotte, how are you?" My mother asks the red-headed girl, she answers with a 'good how are you?' and they chat along together.
I swear if my sister wasn't here they would be the best of friends, well pretty much as they are already.

I grunt at Emilia. She has been annoying the whole day. My Mondays are already the absolute worst, I don't need her ruining it more for me!

The anxiety that runs through my veins couldn't get any worse, but I'm always reminded when my twin sister shows up, that I can never get a piece of silence, whether I'm in class dealing with idiotic morons, or sitting by myself at lunch listening to the popular girl's gossip about me...

No matter where I am or where I sit, I am never left alone. I'd be lying in my coffin and there'd be someone from my school annoying my undead soul. I think about it some more before Charlotte grabs onto Emilia's arm and pulls her to her room.

Thank the lord. I think to myself.

My mum chuckles as Charlotte says a quick and embarrassed bye while pulling my annoying brat for a sister to her room, out of sight but unfortunately not out of mind.

"Oh well," my mum laughs picking up an empty mug that sat on a small table behind the lounge.

"Anyways, How was school today hun?" She asks me grinning, she was known for her sweet smile. I give her a smaller one in return. Though it faded quickly.

"Crap as always" I sigh. No matter how excited I am for school in the mornings, thinking to myself 'this will be a good day!' It always turns out to be horrible. Not to mention Emilia and her 'help'

Help my ass.

My mum sighs with a sad smile. I could tell she could feel my tension from school. She always knows how its been since my anxiety started to get worse. It all started really after my so-called father finally left. I thought it would be all good, and I'd be happy but no. Every minute of every day I'm worrying. Worrying about my appearance. Worrying about school. Worrying about my classes. Worrying that my father will turn up at my school one day and finish off what he so dearly started.

The day he left he swore that he would kill us all, and now whenever I hear a loud truck driving past or near me I freak out. Scared for the day he'll come back and bash me, and being as weak as I am, I would never be able to defend myself against him.

Not to mention the fact I walk by myself home, away from Emilia... so I'm alone and the perfect victim.

"How was work mum?" I asked her changing the subject, chucking my bag onto the lounge before sitting next to it.

"Oh don't even get me started" she huffed sitting down on the recliner across from me.

"You know Tony," she asks trying to rebut my memory and it surely works. Tony is this creep from her work that keeps hitting on her. She's explained to him multiple times that she's happily in love with Robert but he just won't listen.