Chapter Five

Abigale looked at him with wide eyes. "What the hell!" she shouted. "You should make your cages bigger. That was cramped!" Milo replied as if it were no big deal. She stared at him in shock and then chuckled.

   "Wow, caught by the dog catcher," she said and then began to laugh. Milo growled in response. "Now I know where you work." He replied. To his anger, her laughter didn't cease. "Yeah, but I just saved your ass. You owe me, kitty boy."

   He spat at her. "I could've gotten out myself."

   "No, you couldn't have. They monitor this place constantly. And you wouldn't have been able to transform if I wasn't working. So yes, I did just save your ass." she said matter-of-factly.

   "You didn't even realize it was me!" Milo growled back.

   She narrowed her gray eyes at him. "Maybe I would have realized sooner if I didn't have a concussion! Or maybe it's because I work with animals all day!" She snapped. "Either way, I saved you. Deny it all you want to try an make yourself feel all high-and-mighty. I am not a girl who just lets a boy control her, or constantly act like he's over her decisions and her head."

   "I'm not over you. I'm over my men."

   "Then why are you trying to act like you didn't need saving? I could just leave you here and you would be stuck here unless you felt like being held at gunpoint! I'd say 'thank you' if you had just saved me from an animal trafficking group! Why can you not admit that I helped you? Why is it so hard for you and everyone else I help?" Milo could tell she was frustrated.

   "Hold me at gunpoint. I don't care."

   She sighed in defeat and Milo held back his smirk. "You don't get it, do you?" Abigale said what a shake of her head. "Nevermind. Just hang out here with the cats for today. I'll take you out when my shift is over." She mumbled as she put her hands in her pockets and walked out of the room.

   He grunted and turned back into a cat, and began to hiss and spit at anyone who got too close.

   Milo began to grow impatient and once the door opened and Abigale entered, he ignored her. He did note, however, that she had changed into a dark long-sleeve shirt. Silently she picked him up. Her sleeves were wet and Milo recognized the salty tang of blood. As she was leaving, she talked to no one and kept her head down. As she walked out, she put Milo down.

   He could feel the sticky blood from her shirt against his fur and he hissed. He followed her scent back to her apartment and hopped on her windowsill.

   She was gripping a bloodied pocket knife tightly, her knuckles white, and rolled up her sleeve, which was scored with cuts- fresh ones. He gasped in shock and pawed at the window urgently.

   He could tell that she heard him and decided to ignore it. "This is what I deserve...." she mumbled as she ran the knife across herself a few more times. Milo snarled and pawed harder, trying to get inside. Once the window was open, he pushed himself through. Both her forearms were covered and blood. He leaped from the window and transformed mid-run to her side.