Chapter Six

Milo slid to his knees and ripped his shirt off himself, wrapping it around her arm and using his bandana to wrap the other. Abigale didn't look at him. She kept crying, her grip on the knife tightening.

   He pulled the knife from her hands and placed it behind him. She reached for it.

   "No, let me die, let me disappear," she begged sadly, more tears flowing. Milo grabbed her hand. "No."

   "Why did you stop me?" she sobbed. "I don't want you dead," Milo replied.

   "But the world is b-better off that way..."

   "No, it's not."

   She looked up at him for the first time. Her gray eyes were glassy and full of tears as the rest rolled down her cheeks. "How do you know?"

   "I'd be dead. Abigale, you save animals. No one else I've ever met is kind enough." He admitted, eyes darkening. She didn't say a word but sniffed. "I know I'm prideful and cocky. I have to be, for my gang."

   Slowly she scooted closer and hugged him as best she could. "You should not need to be anything for anyone," Abigale said softly. He was stiff. "For the I do," he said, and then continued, quieter, "My name is Milo."

   "Thanks, Milo," she said. She looked around and sighed. "I guess you found out something about me too."

   He ignored her. "Even now?"

   "What?"

   "You saved me. This counts as paying you back." He explained.

   She nodded slightly. "I guess." Abigale looked over to her bed and then to the window. Milo noted that her face was still pale from blood loss. Milo lifted her onto the bed, "You have any water in the fridge?" She shrugged then.

   "I don't know, honestly. I have not eaten anything in a while.."

   Milo growled and walked to the kitchen. He made her a quick sandwich and a bottle of water from the fridge and brought it back to her. She looked at it blankly. "Thank you," she said softly before taking a small sip. "Eat."

   Abigale looked up at him and nodded. She took a deep breath, sighed, and then started eating the sandwich slowly. He nodded in satisfaction and looked away from her. Once she was finished, she pulled a blanket over herself.

   Milo watched her carefully, worried. She wiped a few tears from her eyes as she looked around. "I'm sorry I was so rude to you." She looked back at him and said, "Don't worry, I'm used to it by now." He frowned. "It's so hard for me."

   "So hard for you to let your guard down?" she asked.

   "I shouldn't even be here. I'm sorry."

   "I do not mind you here," she said, and then continued, "I'm guessing someone broke you too." Abigale held her blanket tighter and Milo gritted his teeth. "That's private."

   "I'm only asking because I was left broken too." She said quietly. Milo nodded once but said nothing. "You can stay here if you want." She added, and he turned to her in surprise.