Chapter Two

THE ONCE BLAND room has now been transformed into a gorgeous bedroom dominated by a black iron bed frame with fresh, white linens and the mountain of purple and turquoise pillows Mom got me yesterday.

The room feels earthy and bohemian, from the rich brown chest of drawers with crystal gems for handles, to the antique brass lamps on either side of the bed. The white faux fur under the bed ties the room together. On the far corner stands an Alistair chair with a small table holding my favorite picture of Jess and me together.

I wipe the bit of dust that has collected there to reveal my sister and me sitting next to each other in the back of Dad's old car.

I have the biggest smile on my face, proudly showing my missing front teeth with mousy baby hair curling up on the sides of my forehead making it look like I have horns. Jess's hand is wrapped around my shoulder with a much-tamed smile as she looks to the camera.

She was born with perfect teeth and didn't have to wear braces for two years like me, but she never liked to show them when smiling for a picture. I found that so odd.

If I had a smile as beautiful as hers, I'd flaunt it to the world. Like Dad had taught us since we were little, a simple smile can change a person, can change a day, can change the world.

When this picture was taken, I had begged Jess to give me a full megawatt smile but she wouldn't budge and I did the only thing that came to my brain and tickled her. As she couldn't contain her laughter any longer, Dad snapped the picture, catching the bright smile that broke on her face.

It's only when I see a drop of water on the glass that I realize I've been crying. I pick up the corner of my shirt and wipe the tear away, putting the picture back and gazing out my bedroom window to the sight of the ocean ahead.

I can't quite explain the emotions swirling within me. Happiness mixed with sadness is an odd feeling to have. Being free from my parents and Galeton is liberating, nevertheless, scary.

Over the years, I became their precious possession—a project of some sort. They treated me with such care and were very strict at times. Looking back at it now, I can tell they didn't want me to fall through the cracks like Jess. But I wanted to fall and learn from my errors when I was young. Isn't that part of growing up? You make mistakes and learn not to make the same ones again.

Now that I'm grown, I'm scared I'll make the mistakes I was supposed to make when I was sixteen because I never had the chance to learn from them.

Just then, my phone rings. Speaking of the devil and he doth appear.

"Hey, Mom," I answer, a bit too cheery.

"How's everything? Did you like the living room furniture we picked out for you? You still haven't sent me a picture. What about your bedroom, how does it look? And Angie? How is she? When will you be meeting with Mrs. Garcia?" Mom finishes with a much-needed intake of breath.

I laugh. "Mom, relax. Angie's fine. All she seems to do is sleep." I look over at her rolled up in her coral bed. "I'll be meeting principal Garcia on Friday. I'll send you a picture of the rooms as soon as we finish tal—"

"Better yet, FaceTime now. Go!"

"Mom...Mom...?" The line goes dead.

Great, she hung up on me.

I click on the green camera film icon and FaceTime her. Once we're connected I give her a tour of my bedroom—the only room I've been able to focus on and fully decorate. Then, I head over to the living room, knowing that Mom will have a mini heart attack when she sees the couch and the rest of the furniture still wrapped up in cardboard.