Angel

Would you believe it if you were to enter a coffee shop and see an angel seated before you, staring down at his phone with amber eyes? His cream-colored wings neatly folded behind his back. Would you believe it if he looked up when you walked in, flashed a kind smile, and slid a cup of coffee across the table to you? The expression on his face reads as "I've been waiting for you" and he gestures for you to sit. You wonder if you've died unknowingly, and if this is heaven. Heaven looks an awful lot like the cafe down the street from your apartment. He assures you that no, you are not dead; no, this is not heaven. You're not sure how he knew what you were thinking considering you don't remember speaking aloud. You suppose that must just be an angel thing. You take a sip of your coffee and are surprised, though not too much, to find that it is the way you like it. Time's come to get down to business and he scoots his chair closer, leaning over the table towards you. Would you believe it if he said that you're an angel, too? Probably not, it's not like you have wings. Would you believe it if he said that he can prove it to you? You ask how and he stands up and offers his hand.

   You take it, albeit begrudgingly. You're on a roof now. You've had a fear of heights your whole life and have successfully spent most of your life avoiding roofs and other high places. However, you are now on a roof. You look to him and the anxiety creeping across your face is apparent. Though his expression hasn't changed. He asks if you'd like to go for a fly and your face pales. He promises that everything will be okay and you're inclined to trust him. He is an angel after all. He moves towards the edge of the building and you reluctantly follow. He wraps his arms around you and splays his wings out, before stepping over the edge.

   It is at this moment that you realize you don't even know his name. It's probably too late to ask now considering you are currently soaring over building tops. Your nerve urges you to close your eyes and forget just how high you are, but your wonder at the view forces you to keep them open. You're so enthralled with the sight that you don't realize he is beginning to lessen his grip on you. He fully releases you and you scream as you tumble through the air. You shouldn't have trusted this guy. Of course this happened. You followed a stranger and now you're going to die. All of these thoughts race through your head before you realize that you're no longer falling. You glance up to see if perhaps he's swooped down and caught you, maybe feeling sorry for dooming you to death by splatting on the ground, but only glimpse wings carrying you over the city. Your own wings. You look to find the man, yet he is long gone. Do you believe it now?