Truly Colorful

When people say you're colorful, they usually don't mean it in a good way. Sure, some may find it a compliment. Why yes, I am colorful, I am a broad and unique person. But for others, it's not something to be proud of. It means you're too different. You're too hard to understand. You deviate from the monochromatic hues of your peers and because of that, it's apparently a bad thing.

   You're not supposed to be colorful. You're supposed to be stiff, rigid, have a one-way personality. Bound by a set of clearly defined rules made up by god knows who. That way they can put you in a box, slap a catch-all label on you, and call it a day. And if you don't fit in that box? If you break the rules set by an unknown character that really should not have been allowed to make rules? If you dare to be colorful? You're alienated. Cast out to sea, perhaps to wash up on an island full of colorful individuals such as yourself, who all just wanted to fit in.

   The truth is, however, that no one is just a single color. Maybe we're too scared to show it. Maybe we don't want to show it. Some may even try to hide it, from society and from themselves. The diversity and uniqueness that exists within us all is nothing to be shamed for. There's nothing wrong with being colorful, being different, liking this or liking that. In the end we are all multi-colored, complex people. We just need to let our true colors show.