Chapter 17

She was in the palace library, reading, when a servant came to find her.

“Your Highness?”

She looked up, closing her book. It was one she’d read before, anyway. “Yes?”

“His Majesty requests your presence,” the servant said, bowing. Catriona sighed, and picked up her book again.

“Tell him he can come here,” she replied. “I’m not going to run in circles around him.”

The servant bowed again, and hurried out. She smiled to herself, knowing that he wouldn’t be happy. He would come, though.

As she knew he would, he came through the door a few minutes later.

“Cat, why won’t you come?” he asked irritably.

She didn’t even look up. “Because I was reading, silly. What did you want to talk to me about?”

He came over and sat on the arm of her chair. “I need your opinion,” he said.

At that, she closed her book, looking up at him. “What is it?”

“Flynn wants to retire, Cat,” he explained. “I’m not sure who would be best to take his position. What do you think?”

She thought for a moment, absently drumming her fingers on her book. Her brother waited patiently.

“What of the mage Korith?” she eventually asked. “He did well when the Queen was still alive, and Flynn was travelling.”

“He’s the one who enslaved Isla though, wasn’t he?”

She nodded. “Yes. He’s also the one who freed all the elementals he had. His crops form the majority of the food we have.”

“Is it because of the elementals, do you think?” Pablo mused.

Again, she nodded. “Yes. They’re repaying his kindness to them. He understands this land better than most, Pablo. He would be a good choice.”

He nodded slowly, thinking it through.

“Has Flynn offered any suggestions?” she asked. “He might know of someone we haven’t thought of.”

“I will,” he promised. “Thank you, Cat. Sorry to interrupt.”

She grinned, and pushed him off the chair. “No, you’re not, brother king,” she retorted. He laughed.

“Do you want to speak with Flynn as well?” he asked her. She nodded.

“It’s been a while,” she said. “It will be nice to speak with him again. Is he in the city?”

He shrugged. “I think so. Korith will know, I suppose.”

“You suppose?” she teased. “Shouldn’t you know for sure?”

He grinned. “Probably,” he agreed. “But you do, so why should I bother?”

She pushed him again. “Silly,” she muttered, still only teasing him. “Talk to him, Pablo. See what he says. Alright?”

He nodded, and grabbed her for a quick hug, letting her go before she could wriggle free. “I know,” he replied. “Thanks, little sister.”

He left, and she glared after him. He knew that she didn’t like being called that – but she also knew that it was exactly why he called her that.

She opened her book again, but she was restless. She couldn’t read. With a sigh, she put the book away, and left the room, aimlessly roaming the palace as she thought.

She still believed her brother was too young to hold the crown, but he had no choice. The queen had died a couple of years before, leaving them in charge of the kingdom. He had been seventeen, she thirteen. With the help of Flynn, Pablo had done as good a job as he could, but he was young and inexperienced. She knew the only reason that nothing drastic had happened was because the people of the kingdom much preferred them over the old king and queen. All she could hope for was that it stayed that way – she didn’t want to lose her brother. He was all she had left.